KnN filter number for 273 commando 4bbl

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've gotta order a filter offline for my '66 barracuda with a 273 4bbl, it has the original small air cleaner with the carter AFB (you know what im talking about). Whats the correct KN filter for this guy? Part number please :) The filter I have in it is a Fram ca-162 but KN's website for cross reference doesnt have that one listed. Thanks!

Hey guys, I've gotta order a filter offline for my '66 barracuda with a 273 4bbl, it has the original small air cleaner with the carter AFB (you know what im talking about). Whats the correct KN filter for this guy? Part number please :) The filter I have in it is a Fram ca-162 but KN's website for cross reference doesnt have that one listed. Thanks!

There is one for an early Hemi that has the same number and maybe a letter but is sort of oval. Make sure you check the size before you order...

273 4bbl is Fram CA160 or WIX 42020 (what I run).

K&N xref's to E1100
http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-1100

Are you sure the CA160 is the right filter for a 4bbl 273, 1966? I checked out fram's site and even on there it lists the 162 as the right filter for a 4bbl and the 160 is for a 273 2bbl in 1966. The only difference is the 162 is 3.27 in tall and the 160 is 2.78 in tall. I dont think half an inch is a huge deal but I just want to get the right size if I'm going to drop some money on a KnN.
The other years, '65 and '64 273 4bbl seem to use the same filter as the 2bbl 273 in '66. Isnt the 2bbl 273 air cleaner the same as the 4bbl but just has a 2bbl bottom plate?

Are you sure the CA160 is the right filter for a 4bbl 273, 1966? I checked out fram's site and even on there it lists the 162 as the right filter for a 4bbl and the 160 is for a 273 2bbl in 1966. The only difference is the 162 is 3.27 in tall and the 160 is 2.78 in tall. I dont think half an inch is a huge deal but I just want to get the right size if I'm going to drop some money on a KnN.
The other years, '65 and '64 273 4bbl seem to use the same filter as the 2bbl 273 in '66. Isnt the 2bbl 273 air cleaner the same as the 4bbl but just has a 2bbl bottom plate?

I was speaking from experience for the '65 and didnt realize they had changed the 4bbl filter height in '66. I thought they used the exact same size air-cleaner tin so had assumed same in '66. Hmmm. Good to know. In that case, I couldnt find a K&N xref either.

I don't know if they do it anymore but K&N would at one time build you one if you sent them your old filter. Worth a call.

I also found on their website (KnN) you can look up filters by dimensions. I found one that looks like it'll work, its 1/2 in taller than the fram but looks like it should work. I'll double check with the air cleaner housing once spring comes (car's in storage right now). If anyone else has the same set up and found a KnN that fits let me know otherwise i'll get back with you guys when I figure it out myself lol. '66 273 commando 4bbl b'cuda

K&N are not that good for filtration. Great for a race car that needs flow after hundreds of miles of dirt build up, but they dont do a real good job with the finer particles. Just an FYI. Just keep it oiled.

K&N are not that good for filtration. Great for a race car that needs flow after hundreds of miles of dirt build up, but they dont do a real good job with the finer particles. Just an FYI. Just keep it oiled.

Thats why I run with the wix.

The 2bbl is the CA-160 Fram, the 4bbl uses the CA-162. The number in other brands is: 42041 Wix; A-83C A/C; AF-9 Hastings; AFL-14 Lee; AFP-14 Purolator.

Hey guys, I've gotta order a filter offline for my '66 barracuda with a 273 4bbl, it has the original small air cleaner with the carter AFB (you know what im talking about). Whats the correct KN filter for this guy?

Can't imagine why you want to suck a bunch of sand and dirt into your engine in exchange for no performance benefit at all. See here to cut through the BS and hype; K&N filters are a scam.

(And until you remove the throttle plates from your carburetor, the air filter will not be the bottleneck in the system)

Can't imagine why you want to suck a bunch of sand and dirt into your engine in exchange for no performance benefit at all. See here to cut through the BS and hype; K&N filters are a scam.

Thanks for interesting info. as usual Dan.

Oldschoolcuda

Funny you should mention it, I did remove the throttle plates! It's fun to be in WOT all the time! Thanks for the info though, I'll most likely still go with the KnN just because I have had good luck with them in the past, more in terms of longevity than anything else. Its become part of the "oil change ritual" to pull the KnN filter in whatever I'm driving and clean/re-oil it. So, not too worried about gaining 1 HP as much as its nice to not have to buy a new filter every year. Becides, gotta keep that 7 1/4 alive for atleast another summer! lol thanks guys!

-
Back