knock knock 318

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Started the dart tonight and it's knocking bad on the left side, I'm hoping it's just a lifter. Pulled the valve cover knock seems to be coming from the #1, rockers looked like they where moving ok. Hope it didn't spin a baring!

Guess I'l be pulling the head off this week end, might be time to put that 360 I been wanting in.

Looks like my cruising is over for awhile.:sad7:

That sucks. Could it be just an exhaust leak? That would be to ez. LOL
Hope your not off the road long.

Drain your oil first.

Look for metal particles.

If no metal bits, remove your valve covers and inspect your valvetrain.

Check your compression #'s across all your cylinders.

Hoping for the best for you......

I had my 318 snap a rocker shaft bolt that caused a lot of racket...

Nope not an exaust leak, Going to drain the oil tonight to look for metal. My son-in-law thought he could see copper in the oil that was by the rocker. I'm really hoping thats not the case. This motor only has about 2000 miles on it so I'm a little upset.

Well the lifters seem ok no bent push rods, noise is coming from the #1 cylinder. Valve springs all looked good. Pulled the plugs on that side #1 is black the rest look good.

Drained the oil and can't really see any metal. I'm going to pull the motor pop the pan off and see what the bottom end looks like.

Guess this is why I bought all those tool out in the shop! LOL

You can tell a lot from what`s in the oil filter too. You should cut it open and see what`s in there. Did you try pulling the #1 plug wire off while it was running? If it`s a bad rod bearing the noise (knock) will minimize without the cylinder firing. I hope it`s something simple and an inexpensive fix for you.

To late for that I have the manifold off and pulled the radiator, alternator and power steering pump last night.
I have a different tranny that I was planning on putting in this fall so guess I'm just moving plans up now.
I,m hoping it's an easy fix, if not bye bye 318, hello 360!

-
Back