LA-318 stsroker, or 3rd Generation Hemi?

-

hemisedan

Reaction score
Here is a question, probably brought up before, but I can't find anything on it. I will be starting a 67 Valiant project in the near future and will be updating the power train. I've been thinking along the lines of the 3rd generation hemi, probably 6.1, with either the stock type intake, or going with the FAST setup with a modern 4-barrel type of manifold. Going that route, or doing the LA stroker motor. I've got access to both a good 70 318 block, as well as a 71 340 block. Actually they are short blocks, but the innards would not be used if I would go the stoker.

My intentions would be full forged crank, rods and pistons, keeping the compression ration in the under 10:1, I do want fuel economy. Actually, what I want the both of both worlds, excessive performance, as well as fuel economy. A Passon 5-speed manual transmission with a probably 3:23 or 55 gear in the back. Beings as these Valiants had a shipping weight of 2750 lbs with the optional 318, I feel that with what I do in the suspension and strengthening of the body, it still shouldn't be over 3000 lbs wet. So, what ideas can some of you in the know, help me with? I'm hoping for a 2 year project, start to finish. Thanks in advance.

This should prove to be a fun discussion...

IF you have the wherewithal and the resources, I'd say go with a hemi :) If you can adapt the MDS and such to fit in that car, 20+mpg can come easy unless you really up the horsepower...but you'll really have to be on the stick to get it all done in <2 years...there are dozens of members here who start off with their project in the hopes it'll shore up quickly...and they go over 2 years.

I debated pretty much the same thing on my 69 Valiant project.Being 5.7 or 360 with a paxton supercharger couldn't pull the trigger on either one mainly due to $$$ invested lack of knowledge and bang for the buck just couldn't get the figures to add up the way I wanted. It will have a stock 69 383 (335 HP) in it for now and see where that takes me most of my $$ also has been invested in the suspension and other areas to improve over all handling and stance

Those early engines are prime candidates for turboing. Performance with economy. With a rear mount you can practically drive while working on it, so no 2 year project. Using a street friendly cam and tiny gears and an A-500, sounds like fun to me. Those early motors had forged cranks and the 318 had 340 rods,too. So.... If you were considering all those mods and a Tremek I wonder if the turbo route might be a financial coup too. And if the 318 blows, so what. Cheap ones are every where.Just keep a spare one nearby and youll never be down for long. And cruising at 1650rpm or so beats the heck out 2900 with 3.55s at 65mph. I am so going turbo on my next build. Whatever you go with,enjoy.

-
Back