LA 360 blue smoke after warm up

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Well I thought I found me a donor vehicle for the engine swap. It is a 1990 W series pickup... Has the roller cam, but still an LA.

The engine does not smoke at start up, but as it warms up, she starts smokin blu. Would that be rings? BTW, it only has 100,000 miles on it

I was hoping it would be valve seals, but I don't think the symptoms are correct for that diagnosis. Any thoughts?

Mark

Well I thought I found me a donor vehicle for the engine swap. It is a 1990 W series pickup... Has the roller cam, but still an LA.

The engine does not smoke at start up, but as it warms up, she starts smokin blu. Would that be rings? BTW, it only has 100,000 miles on it

I was hoping it would be valve seals, but I don't think the symptoms are correct for that diagnosis. Any thoughts?

Mark

Sorry but I do find this funny. Hope you solve your problem without too much expense but a tear down sounds like a good idea here.

Run a quick compression test if they seem a little low put a little oil in the cylinders and run the test again if the compression comes up its most likely the rings. If not then it is possible it could be the stem seals. Just my 2 cents

yep rings.

your best bet if you are rebuilding is to rebuild a core, then pop it in your car when ready. that way you can drive your car now until the new one is done.

Hehe! I thought 100,000 miles wasn't THAT high :-/ !

I also just found out that this truck has been used for the last 7-8 years on some sort of storage lot to move trailers around. So likely not a good scenario there... Mostly idling around the lot.

I want to thank you gear heads out there that have been so helpful by posting replies to my questions. I am learning a lot here.

So if ring job needed, probably worn in other areas too, mains & rod bearings, probably looking at a rebuild, sorta defeats what I was trying to do here.

Maybe need to bite the bullet pretty soon and get something done!

Check your spark plugs. Do they look tan or are they black? If they are black you may just have a rich fuel mixture washing your oil off the cylinder walls..and of course burning it. = blue smoke.

-
Back