LA heads on a magnum block???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
I see the magnum block is not drilled for the oil ports that feed the rocker rails on the LA sytle heads. Therefor I am assuming that w/ a magnum block you must run mag style heads?

I have Brodix B1 Head on a magnum block. Oiling thru the pushrods, T&D shaft rockers.
You can use spraybars too
Mike

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 382
I see the magnum block is not drilled for the oil ports that feed the rocker rails on the LA sytle heads. Therefor I am assuming that w/ a magnum block you must run mag style heads?

I would never use LA heads on a magnum block, Why?? Because the magnum heads in stock form flow beeter, have better chambers, & nothing to dropping them on, Plus there are magnum heads out like the EQs & RHSs for less then a Grand ready too run & flow VG #s OOTB.

I would never use LA heads on a magnum block, Why?? Because the magnum heads in stock form flow beeter, have better chambers, & nothing to dropping them on, Plus there are magnum heads out like the EQs & RHSs for less then a Grand ready too run & flow VG #s OOTB.

He was asking a question, if he could run LA heads. And the answer is yes you can. Even easier with a earlier Magnum block. But either way it's doable.

Mike

someone explain how they are going to oil the shaft rockers?

well w-2 is a la head basically because they oil the same on the rockers so your statement is a blanket statement right? the camshafts are drilled on a magnum motor for la type oiling and a good machine shop can drill the oil passage in the block for rocker oiling with minimal cost.i have done this myself! so it can be done

They are bolt on and go, but you have to use the oil-thru-pushrods deal. Shafts will not get oil, but there is more than enough coming out the pushrods to splash oil the rockers and valve tip. Remember factory shaft rockers only get oil pumped when the hole in the cam lines up the oil gallies, and that cam turns at 1/2 crank rpm. So the shafts only see oil pressure for about 15° of rotation each turn. A pushrod oiling system gets oil up there 100% of the time.

OK, because I do not know......

If the oil is coming up the pushrod, how does the rocker get oil when riding on a shaft.
Shaft rockers get oil as you (Moper) said. So the shaft feeds the underside of the shafts/rockers. No oil = gaul.

The oil pumps up the pushrod, through the hole in the rocker, down the rocker, under the shaft, adn down to the tip. If you deviate from stamped steel stuff, you will/may have to do some other work. But in terms of stock stuff, it's a bolt on.

The oil pumps up the pushrod, through the hole in the rocker, down the rocker, under the shaft, adn down to the tip. If you deviate from stamped steel stuff, you will/may have to do some other work. But in terms of stock stuff, it's a bolt on.

Every time this comes up I think of adjustable rocker not stock rockers...that is why I posted how does the rocker shaft get oil...

with adjustable rockers you are going to need to figure out how to get oil inside the shaft...splashing oil is not going to work on adjustable rockers.

340 eddy heads/99 Magnum roller block,doable?I have a set,ported already.Would make my life easier.Thanks.

Thanks Moper. It was the non stock stuff I was wondering about. I should have stated so. In my case, for example only, no plans to do so, I have "LA" heads (Edelbrock, but stock would do as well" and Comp roller rockers. This could work with oil through pushrods?

I never consider this swap, so, when I read this, I wondered.

Can you bolt 01 Magnum heads on a 70s 340? Would there be any advantage?

Yes, and yes. The magnum heads bolt right onto an LA block, but you need oil through lifters and pushrods to do it (like on a magnum). Advantages are better chamber design, better flow, smaller combustion chamber etc.

But, that's totally different than the LA heads on a magnum motor, which is what we're talking about in this thread. LOTS and LOTS of threads on magnum heads on an LA block, do a search.

Magnum blocks up until 1996 or so still had the oil passage drilled in the block for the shaft type rockers, even though the did not use it. Magnum camshafts do not always have the oil holes drilled in the #2&4 journals for oiling thru the block.

So if you have one of the 1992-1996 block, yes an LA head is a direct bolt on. Just use a cam and set of cam bearings for a LA and your all set.

Reason I asked is because i have a 98 360 block w/ no drilled oil passages for la rocker shaft oiling. Have lots of la heads that id like to use on something seeing as i already own them. Ideally id like to put some RHS mag heads on it, but money is tight rite now so was wondering if what i already have could be used. Thanks, Kevin

Id be interested in a set of RHS heads ready to go for less than a grand. Where did you see them listed? That would be the ideal solution, but i was wondering if what i already own could be made to work. I have a 98 mag 360 and a fresh set of 67cc ported X heads that flow 260 @ .550

How about a tee off of the rear oil galley in the rear?Run one to each side.Drill and mount a a/n male male bulkhead fitting on each valve cover.Runa a small breaded line to the rocker shaft.Drill/tap a size for a a/n fitting for the rocker arm shaft. Is this a feasible idea?

I think spray bars like Indy's B wedge setup would be easiest. Tee'd off the oil pressure port behind the intake.

Though I have not tried it, I have a set of the PRW stainless steel adjustable small block rockers for the LA head and it looks like you could oil through the pushrod and back into the rocker body and into the rocker shaft.

-
Back