LA Intake on Magnum heads

-

1968fish

Reaction score
Have any of you redrilled and tapped your Magnum heads for LA intake Manifolds? How big of a job is it? I know Hughes does it, but $175.00 plus the shipping?
Thanks

Sure. It's no problem at all if you buy a vertical mill and the accoutrement. Looking at it that-a-way, $175.00 plus shipping becomes a bargain.

Add to it all by how many heads are you converting?

I mocked up a magnum block and heads with a LA intake to find the correct angle
Located
Used an 9/32 bit and tapped for a 5/16’s bolts
Any larger bolt would have caused problems

I think I'm calling BHJ tomorrow and ordering. I can always rent it to other FABO members!!
Thanks Chad

Just out of curiousity, why can't LA intake manifolds simply have the holes redrilled to work on Magnum heads? Besides the obvious need to either build up a flat-faced stantion of sorts for the bolt OR to build canted spacers, what is the problem?

Just out of curiousity, why can't LA intake manifolds simply have the holes redrilled to work on Magnum heads? Besides the obvious need to either build up a flat-faced stantion of sorts for the bolt OR to build canted spacers, what is the problem?

You do know the bolts are vertical, right? With a lot of tig/ other brazing (iron) etc I don't see it. You can buy aftermarket manifolds that are drilled for both types.

"I spose" you might be able to come up with some sort of hook device similar to what's used to retain some exhaust/ intake manifolds on an inline that would hook around the top edge of the LA intake, ??

You do know the bolts are vertical, right? With a lot of tig/ other brazing (iron) etc I don't see it. You can buy aftermarket manifolds that are drilled for both types.

"I spose" you might be able to come up with some sort of hook device similar to what's used to retain some exhaust/ intake manifolds on an inline that would hook around the top edge of the LA intake, ??

Hence "redrilled", "flat-faced stantion" and the possibility of "canted spacers". Definitely, assumed lots of TIG to build up a drillable stantion on an aluminum intake.

Well, why don’t you try it. Develop the parts and bring them to manufacture.

Or you could build or purchase one like this here;
——->
BHJ Products

Besides the obvious need to either build up a flat-faced stantion of sorts for the bolt OR to build canted spacers, what is the problem?

Nope! That’s it. That’s the problem. EZ solution posted above.

Do you have a fixture for drilling the heads?

I thought about getting one. There pricey for the amount of work I’d do with them. Maybe. 3 or 4 heads in total? And they wouldn’t be iron heads!

I saw a stock cast iron LA intake redrilled for a Magnum. Looked really strange, but the truck ran well, so they must have it to seal up ok.

-
Back