LA Oiling Question

-
Here's a excerpt from the stroker small block book with a twist.
They recommend a hole in the plug but not for the chain, but for the fuel pump eccentric.

View attachment 1715387587

I have that book and I read that. I leave the plugs out (evidently a mortal sin condemning me to an eternal hell) and just drill a .040ish hole in the plate. I've used gear drives forever. Never ever replaced a bearing or a gear. And that's running springs with 340 on the seat and 900 plus over the nose. In my TC&G stuff you see almost no chain wear.

And yes, I run a gear drive and a mechanical fuel pump.

what YR says
but I plug the galleys with pipe plugs and drill a .039 (whatever) hole as YR (is not the drill you want always broken)
never thought about the fuel pump but makes sense
I've had plates that leak but not often, some also have groves

what YR says
but I plug the galleys with pipe plugs and drill a .039 (whatever) hole as YR (is not the drill you want always broken)

That's why I said .040ish. You know it's a beeeeotch to drill small holes and you break a bit now and then. I now buy those common sizes by the dozen. Easier that way because all those sizes are idle feed restricter, emulsion and air bleed sizes.

what YR says
My new build I have a small hole drilled in the pipe plug behind the milodon gear drive, but not through the plate. I dremelled a trough behind the plate to funnel oil to the cam thrust surface Behind the gear drive as that milodon thrust plate gets beat up by the cam.

My new build I have a small hole drilled in the pipe plug behind the milodon gear drive, but not through the plate. I dremelled a trough behind the plate to funnel oil to the cam thrust surface Behind the gear drive as that milodon thrust plate gets beat up by the cam.

What plug behind the GD????? I bush the passenger side gallery. Another reason not to run a plug in there.

I'm still using the same thrust bearing and even the bearing in the idler gear from 1988 when I bought this GD.

Edit: I run very little cam thrust...less than .004 as those types of bearings don't like to get beat on from the front to the rear.

What plug behind the GD????? I bush the passenger side gallery. Another reason not to run a plug in there.

I'm still using the same thrust bearing and even the bearing in the idler gear from 1988 when I bought this GD.

Edit: I run very little cam thrust...less than .004 as those types of bearings don't like to get beat on from the front to the rear.
Well you could do it from either side. I still have a low volume of oil on the drivers side because I am trying out bushed axle rollers that need oil, so I have a thread pipe plug with a .035 hole. It is covered by the gold colored milodon plate. When the oil hits the trough in the plate, it goes over to the thrust surface which has no Torrington on that side.

Well you could do it from either side. I still have a low volume of oil on the drivers side because I am trying out bushed axle rollers that need oil, so I have a thread pipe plug with a .035 hole. It is covered by the gold colored milodon plate. When the oil hits the trough in the plate, it goes over to the thrust surface which has no Torrington on that side.

Got it.

In KrazyKuda's article about assembling the front of an LA, he mentions a bolt that should have a hole in it.
There are 3 bolts that hold the cam thrust plate in place. None of mine have the hole. Was it assembled incorrectly? It has the drip plate, or whatever it's called. It looks kinda like a timing pointer.
How to Assemble the Front of a Small Block
Nice article , I just read your "How To" about front of block. I am building a 1990 model year 360 and I found on the old front gallery plugs one has a hole in it and it has a different cam plate than what you have in your article. So I will add my two cents. By the shape in my plate I suspect the hole flows pressured oil against plate that will now drip along plate and tab to drip on chain & gear. Here are pictures. Feel free to add them to your article. Cheers !!

Block side.jpg

Chain side.jpg

Nice article , I just read your "How To" about front of block. I am building a 1990 model year 360 and I found on the old front gallery plugs one has a hole in it and it has a different cam plate than what you have in your article. So I will add my two cents. By the shape in my plate I suspect the hole flows pressured oil against plate that will now drip along plate and tab to drip on chain & gear. Here are pictures. Feel free to add them to your article. Cheers !!

View attachment 1715611848

View attachment 1715611849
If that's the idea, it leaks down onto the chain that is spinning away, drawing it in.
That's a mp thrust plate, not stock. The plug with the hole is fab'd, for I have never seen one made/sold that way.

If that's the idea, it leaks down onto the chain that is spinning away, drawing it in.
That's a mp thrust plate, not stock. The plug with the hole is fab'd, for I have never seen one made/sold that way.
It is a used engine I pulled from a 1990 D250 . There is no hole in bolt holding cam plate and it is the plate that was in that engine and those plugs. I don't know if that engine has been touch at some point , it was all standard when torne down. Obviously the plate seems built to run with a purpose spill from the gallery.

It is a used engine I pulled from a 1990 D250 . There is no hole in bolt holding cam plate and it is the plate that was in that engine and those plugs. I don't know if that engine has been touch at some point , it was all standard when torne down. Obviously the plate seems built to run with a purpose spill from the gallery.
They say those plugs leak anyway.
Some came without plugs and just the plate, stock plate, not the MP one you show.
If it has an mp part number... It's not stock.
But the flat thrust plate allowed leakage.
I have never run the pin hole bullshit and have not found a reason too. It's a leak, it will affect the main oil psi in the reflected amount of bleed off at the pin hole.

This is a pretty interesting subject, does anyone have any knowledge on how much, if any oil gets to flow out of and past the front cam bearing, especially the ones that are fully grooved. It seems to me any oil flowing past the bearing will well up behind the plate and run down the front of it and hopefully drip off the oiling tab if one is fitted. I have just freshened up my 360 after a 10 year stint of cruise nights and some dragstrip action, I run a Cloyes chain setup and after 10 years I re-used it , not dead tight but pretty good. I run 4 retaining bolts in the retaining plate one factory drilled and a homemade oiling tab located by the bottom two bolts. It seems to be getting plenty of oil from somewhere and I don't run the slinger.

They say those plugs leak anyway.
Some came without plugs and just the plate, stock plate, not the MP one you show.
If it has an mp part number... It's not stock.
But the flat thrust plate allowed leakage.
I have never run the pin hole bullshit and have not found a reason too. It's a leak, it will affect the main oil psi in the reflected amount of bleed off at the pin hole.
I forget, don’t all three bolts thread into a non-pressurized area? I believe that’s what I saw when I put my 360 together. If so, it’s not a pressure leak, it’s just a path for oil to get to the sprockets and chain. The hole is so small, not much oil is getting through it non-pressurized.

I forget, don’t all three bolts thread into a non-pressurized area? I believe that’s what I saw when I put my 360 together. If so, it’s not a pressure leak, it’s just a path for oil to get to the sprockets and chain. The hole is so small, not much oil is getting through it non-pressurized.
Yes the bolts, a couple , go into the open oil puddles valley. Then there are the lifter galley plugs, then there is the front cam bearing bleed off that leaks around the plate as well. Plenty of leaking and oil drip fro the chain without drilling a hole.

-
Back