LA Stroker kit in Magnum Block?

-

chaditotx

Reaction score
Well, my search for answers via Google didn't turn up the right info. I am in the process of having a Magnum truck motor rebuilt (2001), and came across one hell of a deal on this stroker kit for LA 360's locally. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sca-1-98113bi

It's balanced internally, which is great... But will it work in a Magnum block? Main spacing, journal size, snout and seals etc? The application shows for a 1968 360. I'm nervous about buying it until I am sure.

If it's 5.9/360, the balance will be off but the rest should work.

If it's 340 1968, it should be internally balanced similar to 5.2 and should work in a 5.2 just fine.

If it's 5.9/360, the balance will be off but the rest should work.

If it's 340 1968, it should be internally balanced similar to 5.2 and should work in a 5.2 just fine.
That's what I am looking for.... I want to go zero balance on balancer, flexplate and torque converter while keeping the serpentine set up. Bringing the displacement up to 408 is a plus, comes with bearings and rod bolts and rings too that I was going to have to buy anyway... Along with a weighted flexplate I was going to have to buy that I didn't get when I picked up the motor. I will be able to just use my 0 balanced stall converter that is on my 727 now. So the guts will just bolt right in...

I am not sure, but there may be some issue with the LA 360 crank in the magnum block at the rear main seal? EDIT/correction-it is the 318 magnum rear seal area on the crank that is .010" smaller and uses a different seal than the 318 LA

Last edited:
I'm useing a magnum crankshaft in a LA block with no issues so im sure it will work fine.

It will work, balance is in the rotating assembly, use an internal balance damper for a 318/v6 magnum and neutral flex plate.

The difference between Magnum 5.9L and an LA 360 is the width of the small end of the rod, and the corresponding width of the pin bosses of the pistons. The pins IIRC are the same diameter, but the boss on the piston and the pin end of the rod is different.

The difference between Magnum 5.9L and an LA 360 is the width of the small end of the rod, and the corresponding width of the pin bosses of the pistons. The pins IIRC are the same diameter, but the boss on the piston and the pin end of the rod is different.
The kit will come with the correct piston / rod combo.... If it doesn't, I would send it back, cause you'll wanna/need to re balance if you have to A narrow the small end of the rod and or B widen the area between the piston pin bores.
Heads up, the guys running hyper pistons in their 4" motor need to have a magnum small end width on the rods, straight up those pistons have the narrow pin bore spacing to accommodate a magnum rod small end.

-
Back