LA318 Question: Starter motor

-

n3w6uy

The Valley Ant
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 1970 Valiant and am trying to swap out my starter for one that works and my question is this: Did Plymouth build these cars around the starter or what!? How do I get this Dodgeforsaken part outta here?

If you have headers and the big starter is isn't fun. When I got mine out I replaced it with a mini starter, there a whole lot easier to work with!

Two battery wires and two bolts hold it in.
What's holding it up?

Yeah its the big starter. Above there is a mass of mastercylinder/throttle cable/steering box. Below is all steering linkage/exhaust pipe. I think I may have to drop my exhaust system and them MAYBE it can be boogered out.](*,)

When you get it out, order one for a 98 Ram with a 5.2 or 5.9 it's little and has regular terminals on it like your old starter. If you're having trouble getting at the bolts try like a 3 or 4" extension and a deep socket (5/8 i think) and go over top the starter to get at the bolts. Hope this helps you

Wigsplitter74 will that starter work on my 69 Dart 318 or 360 with headers.That org starter is big.Thanks.

The only time I've ever heard of anyone having trouble getting a starter out of any A body is when there are headers involved. And I have never had a problem myself.

Wigsplitter74 will that starter work on my 69 Dart 318 or 360 with headers.That org starter is big.Thanks.

Yes. It should provide more clearance and be easier to get in and out.

It can be a hassle. But it usually can be snaked out. What I had to do was un do the starter bolts etc and then turn the front wheels one way or another to get clearance. You should still be able to get it out one way or another without dropping the exh system or anything else for that matter. For sure replacement with a mini starter would be the plan going forward.

You bet it will, works on mine everytime. Make sure you get it for a 98 tho, some of the other years of trucks had a big goofy plug in thing instead of a terminal with a nut, my 35 year old wiring sure doesn't have that connector lol. I run Hooker headers on my 360 and it works fine, the only issue I've ever had was once in a great while when turning it felt like my wheel wanted to lock in one place and if I remember right one of the ball joints in the steering was just barley hitting the starter, nothing too serious and my car does sit a lil low in the front. I would not hesitate to run this starter tho.

Well Me thinks i know what starter I want.If It is smaller than heat soak should knot be an issue anymore.Had that on a BB Chevy once drove me nuts.Great info here. Thanks Wigsplitter74 and rumblefish360.

The only time I've ever heard of anyone having trouble getting a starter out of any A body is when there are headers involved. And I have never had a problem myself.
Dude: you must have small hands (lol!!). The lower bolt is no problem, the upper bolt was a b**ch for me! I got it out by reaching from behind the wheel and used a short extension, u-joint, and socket. I plan on getting a smaller starter ... someday.

Just swap to a slant six. Then you can change the starter from under the hood. Don't need to jack up the car or crawl around on the ground. :-D

Well Me thinks i know what starter I want.If It is smaller than heat soak should knot be an issue anymore.Had that on a BB Chevy once drove me nuts.Great info here. Thanks Wigsplitter74 and rumblefish360.

I do what I can, being poor really allows me to figure out these low buck tips n tricks lol

Just swap to a slant six. Then you can change the starter from under the hood. Don't need to jack up the car or crawl around on the ground. :-D

That's my problem. My 72 has a 225 and thats the only car I've ever had so I'm used to the easy life (except for at the parts store) All I had to do was dissassemble some steering componants loosen some transmaission line and it was a breeze. Damndest thing I've seen to date.

That's my problem. My 72 has a 225 and thats the only car I've ever had so I'm used to the easy life (except for at the parts store) All I had to do was dissassemble some steering componants loosen some transmaission line and it was a breeze. Damndest thing I've seen to date.

Last slant six I worked on was my mom's 65 Barracuda back in the early 1970's. It had 3 on the tree. I think there might have been a brace from the starter to the block. Other than that there was the wiring & the two mounting bolts. Easiest starter I ever had to mess with. Before I met my wife she had a 74 Dart with a 6. She said she changed the starter one winter from under the hood. Try that with ANY new car.

If you have a 'Pull-A-Part' near you, go get an '89-'02 starter from any 318/360...but make sure it has the heat shields still bolted to it. Mopar doesn't offer them anymore and it'll help the starter live a lot longer

-
Back