Lack Of Literacy Really Ticks Me Off

-
It's the schools. They're teaching kids to spell phonetically these days, because learning is hard. I've seen some real doozies in the last few days but haven't saved them. I wish I could remember where I saw them.

OK Yanks.......Do you take someone to town o carry them to town?
Do you push the button or mash the button?
Is it supper or dinner?
Does your family tree have few branches?
Thank about this before YOU decide to move South or East of the Mason-Dixon Line!!!!!!
OK Yanks....all you need to speak/understand is "Southern Language and Phrases 101".....
Problem is my computer Windows #2 is so old, it can not spell check!!!

try "FLOW"-what is that? according to hee haw. it is what you will pick yourself up off of if'n you don't quit staring at my wife's breasts.

It's the schools.
The people that unleashed current school-age kids into the world presumably went to school themselves. What happened to them? The education system in this country is lacking to say the least and has been for a long time.

Schools can only do so much though. I’m a pretty bright guy but had zero interest in school and in fact was a really bad student. Pretty big accomplishment to get kicked out of advanced level subjects in high school but I did it several times and barely graduated. I was on record my junior year of high school for skipping 80 days. I still don’t understand how I didn’t have to repeat the year. Managed to get into a crappy college somehow but retained nothing since being an English major was pretty useless.

Conversely, my wife did not go to college at all and now runs a publishing company. She worked her way up from being an assistant 22 years ago. She was waiting tables before that. She always bemoans the kids who they hire out of “the best schools” because they think they can do senior level jobs and get paid like it without working their way up the ladder.

The sense of entitlement is not limited to well off people either. Plenty of working class folks think they don’t have to put in any effort to improve their lot in life because they think someone owes them whatever. That’s inner city and rural people.

Really though, no one cares about much of anything beyond their own nose.

The wife and I have danced around the prospect of moving out of California and to Arizona or Tennessee. I've even considered Alabama. I know that I'm going to sound out of place the further east that we go.
When I first joined Moparts in 2010, I was appalled at the numerous spelling and grammar errors that I saw.'
See, I am nothing much beyond a High School graduate but I did pay attention when I was there. I was especially interested in English and math.
I was under the mistaken belief that if a person had the skills to operate a computer that they must be smarter than I am.....and be at least as skilled in writing and spelling. I
Wrong.
Over the years, I have learned that there is a disconnect between education and intelligence.
There are college graduates that cannot make sense of simple car problems because they have no innate curiosity about mechanical things.
Me? I can't sing or play a musical instrument. I have zero ability to read sheet music either. Some are flat out superb at these things with zero training.
Some things really are imbedded into our nature.
There are highly intelligent people that either are unable to spell or just don't care to do it properly.
There are ignorant appearing people that can repair mechanical things but can barely spell their own names.
I do not understand how these things can exist but they surely do.
You and I are most assuredly on the same page.
One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a sign outside of a business that is filled with both spelling and grammatical errors. It makes me wonder if I should even consider giving them my business.

The people that unleashed current school-age kids into the world presumably went to school themselves. What happened to them? The education system in this country is lacking to say the least and has been for a long time.

Schools can only do so much though. I’m a pretty bright guy but had zero interest in school and in fact was a really bad student. Pretty big accomplishment to get kicked out of advanced level subjects in high school but I did it several times and barely graduated. I was on record my junior year of high school for skipping 80 days. I still don’t understand how I didn’t have to repeat the year. Managed to get into a crappy college somehow but retained nothing since being an English major was pretty useless.

Conversely, my wife did not go to college at all and now runs a publishing company. She worked her way up from being an assistant 22 years ago. She was waiting tables before that. She always bemoans the kids who they hire out of “the best schools” because they think they can do senior level jobs and get paid like it without working their way up the ladder.

The sense of entitlement is not limited to well off people either. Plenty of working class folks think they don’t have to put in any effort to improve their lot in life because they think someone owes them whatever. That’s inner city and rural people.

Really though, no one cares about much of anything beyond their own nose.
Sigh, yeah, one of my first wife's kids missed something like 80% of his classes one year, yet somehow he still passed. When I questioned the teacher about it, I was told that "he did well on all of the tests".
My response to that was to question what in fact he was being taught, and if the teacher believed that this behavior would be permissible for any employer, including hers.
Crickets was all I heard after that. Even his mother was silent, so I took no further interest in any of her kids' education.

1- I also struggled in school despite getting A's on nearly every test I took. Somehow, A's on tests but minimal to no homework equals D minuses.
I actually had to take summer school to graduate HS. No college ever. The thought still makes me shudder. I went on to lead an IT implementation team for an organization that had over 10,000 computers and now I also own my own business. Go figure.

2- You can only have "supper" if you've already eaten "dinner". You can not sup before you dine. If dinner is the last meal of the day, then so be it, if you have another meal, it is supper. This was an extensive discussion in our extended household for decades. My grandmother and I finally put it to rest. It's a non-standard answer, but it is what it is.

3- My mom was a professional proofreader. That's a hard act to follow. Just as bad as had she been an English teacher. Possibly worse. I did win the 10th grade shortest sentence contest- "Go." - two letters with an implied subject of "you". I also got to play Iron Maiden in that class and got a A on that "poetry appreciation" project.

You and I are most assuredly on the same page.
One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a sign outside of a business that is filled with both spelling and grammatical errors. It makes me wonder if I should even consider giving them my business.

Just saw this "just want to get to knoe each other"
Sorry, if someone can't catch that on a sign in front a business, I'm not shopping there because it's clearly something in the water or the air.
1- I also struggled in school despite getting A's on nearly every test I took. Somehow, A's on tests but minimal to no homework equals D minuses.
I actually had to take summer school to graduate HS. No college ever. The thought still makes me shudder. I went on to lead an IT implementation team for an organization that had over 10,000 computers and now I also own my own business. Go figure.

2- You can only have "supper" if you've already eaten "dinner". You can not sup before you dine. If dinner is the last meal of the day, then so be it, if you have another meal, it is supper. This was an extensive discussion in our extended household for decades. My grandmother and I finally put it to rest. It's a non-standard answer, but it is what it is.

3- My mom was a professional proofreader. That's a hard act to follow. Just as bad as had she been an English teacher. Possibly worse. I did win the 10th grade shortest sentence contest- "Go." - two letters with an implied subject of "you". I also got to play Iron Maiden in that class and got a A on that "poetry appreciation" project.

Where I grew up, supper was lunch....I think.....it's been thirty years.

Typically it's:

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

If you have a meal after that, it's supper.

You can have:

Breakfast
Dinner
Supper

...but you can't have:

Breakfast
Lunch
Supper

...or:

Breakfast
Supper
Dinner.

How much worthwhile stuff could I fit in my head if I didn't have all this crap jammed in there?

Seriously, this was a hot topic between eight family members all through the late 70's and most of the 80's.
It got really heated when my aunt visited.

Finally, my grandmother and I found the "correct" info in some sort of "Robert's Rules Of Order" type publication, after I was legally an adult and couldn't take it any more.

Typically it's:

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

If you have a meal after that, it's supper.

You can have:

Breakfast
Dinner
Supper

...but you can't have:

Breakfast
Lunch
Supper

...or:

Breakfast
Supper
Dinner.

How much worthwhile stuff could I fit in my head if I didn't have all this crap jammed in there?

Seriously, this was a hot topic between eight family members all through the late 70's and most of the 80's.
It got really heated when my aunt visited.

Finally, my grandmother and I found the "correct" info in some sort of "Robert's Rules Of Order" type publication, after I was legally an adult and couldn't take it any more.
you skipped a few

Ninety five percent of any members I've encountered on any of these forums writes clearly enough that I fully understand what they are trying to convey
The other five percent may have issues with the language or lack basic grammar skills but I still understand what they write

...and "4th meal".

YE # 2 is totally corrct! You be a native Floridian which in itself is like being born and raised in Tn., or Al. or any other Southern state, as we all know Fl. is 90% Yankee and 5% Cudan and 5% native. :poke:
:confederateflag: :rofl:

You can have:

Breakfast
Dinner
Supper
This was much more the norm until modern times.
A big dinner at supertime meant cleanup in the dark or by candle light.
But doesn't work out when people are at factory or even in the field some distance away and can't back or stop work for a big meal.

Based on his examples, IMO the literacy issue that @Bodyperson was referring was the communication.
"capacity to communicate using inscribed, printed, or electronic signs or symbols" Britannica, emphasis aded.

Whether this is due to the lack of reading skills, or a lack of comprehension, either is more common than annoying spelling errors which are sumtimes punny.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F14bz2d.jpg

Sorry, not "native".

Born in CA, grew up in OH, been in FL longer than both combined.

I claim "mutt".

Wife is a mutt, too Born in MO, grew up between OH and TX, and been in FL longer than me.

I often joke that I had to move to Florida to meet a nice Ohio girl, even though neither of us was actually born in OH.

Ninety five percent of any members I've encountered on any of these forums writes clearly enough that I fully understand what they are trying to convey
The other five percent may have issues with the language or lack basic grammar skills but I still understand what they write
Okay Steve, I'll throw down the gauntlet. This question was asked on another forum I belong to. The title of the post was " Torque Converter Issues". What dimension is being requested?

"Is there anyone out there that can get some measurements for a 904 and 727? I’m looking for the mounting pad to snout end measurement…. Trying to check it against what I have. It needs to be as accurate as possible."

Based on his examples, IMO the literacy issue that @Bodyperson was referring was the communication.
"capacity to communicate using inscribed, printed, or electronic signs or symbols" Britannica, emphasis aded.

Whether this is due to the lack of reading skills, or a lack of comprehension, either is more common than annoying spelling errors which are sumtimes punny.

View attachment 1716033916
Hate to be picky but my OCD is kicking in. The exact quote from Strother Martin is "What we've got here is failure to communicate".

Okay Steve, I'll throw down the gauntlet. This question was asked on another forum I belong to. The title of the post was " Torque Converter Issues". What dimension is being requested?

"Is there anyone out there that can get some measurements for a 904 and 727? I’m looking for the mounting pad to snout end measurement…. Trying to check it against what I have. It needs to be as accurate as possible."
wouldnt it be easier to see if the transmission pan is straight on the front or not?

if its straight, its a 727, if it has a lil bulge, its a 904

-
Back