Language cheat sheet if you ever come to Pennsylvania

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score

IMG_1319.jpeg

I'll take Pennsylvanian over Bostonian. I had a layover at Logan Airport, and I asked one of the workers where there's a drinking fountain so I could get some water.

He points behind him and says "deh's a bubbler right over there, chief."

WTF is a bubbler? :lol:

Worsch, as in worsch your clothes. Spigot, thing you hook up the garden hose to. And finally gumband, rubberband.

Similarly, warshington, DC.

I lived the first 21 years of my life in Waynesbarra (Waynesboro) PA.

Spent many summer days at Welty's Crick drinking pop!

Makes me miss my hometown...

Re: Yinz....

For my 55th B'day my wife got me (us) airfare to Pittsburgh, along with 4 tickets to the Wild/Penguins game at PPG Arena. We have some good friends out there that we hadn't seen in a while, so it was a really fun trip. Anyway, at one point in the game the large video screen at center ice showed Billy Guerin, the new GM for the Wild, and when the crowd gave him a huge cheer he held up a piece of paper that said, "Thanks, Yinz!" in black sharpie.

Class act.

This is a coffee shop in pittsburgh where you go and possibly adopt a new family member (cat). The place where I get my Ferals fixed adopts out a lot of their rescues there. They number just under 1000 adoptions now.

IMG_1337.jpeg

Wow, no mention of the Pittsburgh potty? The sacred throne in the basement? The one that saved yinz from having to get all worshed up just to take a leak? Right next to the fridge with all the Arn City beer in it? And yinz were a jagoff if you didn't keep the fridge full!

Wow, no mention of the Pittsburgh potty? The sacred throne in the basement? The one that saved yinz from having to get all worshed up just to take a leak? Right next to the fridge with all the Arn City beer in it? And yinz were a jagoff if you didn't keep the fridge full!
Think you mean Ice Box!

In Philly at least: "Ayadoon" - which I mistakenly translated to "how ya doin'?" - is merely Hi or Hey.
I tried answering & engaging once or twice, as the person kept moving past me, before I caught on.

In Philly at least: "Ayadoon" - which I mistakenly translated to "how ya doin'?" - is merely Hi or Hey.
I tried answering & engaging once or twice, as the person kept moving past me, before I caught on.

What’s sup. Lol

One thing I say is "...aint?" meaning "whaddaya think...?"

like "I think the rose pink paint on that there picket fence was a goood choice aint...?"

But I am in the eastern part of the State Reading/Philly area :)

Another Philly area slang term is "jawn" (chiefly in eastern Pennsylvania) used to refer to a thing, place, person, or event that one need not or cannot give a specific name to.

"these jawns are very inexpensive"

-
Back