Largest displacement of a factory 440 block?

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
Anyone know what the largest stroke size I can use in a factory 68' 440 block? I was going to go with a 4.15 stroke but I see 4.25-4.5 and 4.6??? If I use an external oiling system etc. just wondering if I can make a 528 ci out of it or larger if possible instead of the 499 ci. I was planning on. I'm thinking of buiding the stroker this winter and don't know if I can use my block or would need an aftermarket block to go this big?
Adam

The only stroked 440 i've been involved with was to 500ci so I probably can't help. Hughes engines can probably help though or at least give some advice on going further, I think they only go to 500 cubes as well but who knows. Personally if I were going above 500 I'd at least get the mains cross bolted and add a girdle cause I've been on the loosing end of a 440 that had to many horses pulled off the old crank and it wasn't pretty. :evil2:

528=4.325 (std bore 440) with 4.5" stroke. 535 is that plus .030 over. I wouldnt bore beyond taht. And beyond 4.25 stroke, you need external pickup(s). 505 is 4.25 with .030 over. That's at the shop for me now. Usues 440Source's kit. That means chevy size rod pins and rod big ends, so it clears the factory pick up (supposedly..but I'm sure even if it hits a little I can clearance a bunch...) That's the easiest and biggest. Also, you really should have any block built with more than 4.15 stroke sonic checked to make sure it will last.

you get a 451......which mathmatically is perfect because of the rod length to stoke to bore comparison

Dusterb318 said:
you get a 451......which mathmatically is perfect because of the rod length to stoke to bore comparison

seems like a cheap way to get more displacement.

Not to mention that a 400 has a lower deck height (fits better in an A body than a 440 does) and is 65 pounds lighter (can you say free horsepower). I am seriously considering building one myself this next year, if not this winter. :headbang:

I am going to build the same thing. You have to turn down the mains on the 440 crank or align bore the block to the 440 main size to make it work. Other than that, off the shelf pistons are available.

451s can be made from factory castings in terms of rods, crank, and block. I've also heard of guys using factory type pistons, but I dont bother with the few pennies that might save. But in truth, if you dont already own a crank for this, it is a better choice to buy one. 440Source.com has a very nice performance crank, using B size mains, and stock rods, 3.75 stroke, with better material, and big radiuses, and the B size counterweight size (diameter) so it literally drops in a B block. When you add the cost of getting a crank core ($100-175 for a forged deal), magging it (to check for cracks..$75), have it turned down to B main size, turned and polished on the rods($200-300 around me), you are looking at spending $375-400+ on a factory used crank. And, you will need to clearance the block slightly to make it fit properly. That can be done by you, but it's still time and effort. Brandon sells them for $550. It's a much stronger piece, and aside form having the dimensions checked, it's ready to go. If you run heavier pistons, you may also need mallory metal to properly internal balance the assembly. Brandon's doesnt. The material and counterweight design is designed for this swap. Call it cheap insurance. He also offers complete kits, but they can be pricey IMO when comparing to available parts bought individually for this particular assembly.

-
Back