Largest SB Hyd. Cam with Stock Springs/Rockers?

-

craigibc

wishin' my Demon was done
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Well I have a '72 360 that I am looking to throw a cam into. I am looking for something that I can use with my current stock springs and rockers. The car is currently running a rev. manual valve body 904, and 3.91sg. Feel free to throw out cam lift/duration and brand. Thanks.

- Jon

How old are the springs? I had an old chev 350 that would float the valves and wouldn't free rev over 3500 cus the springs were so bad.

Do it right, do it once..... Get springs that are matched for your new cam. It may cost extra but it will be worth it in the end.

If the springs are in good shape and are stock springs you can get away with about .450 lift or thereabout. Try a speed pro #cl1143r and you will be very pleased with the results. You will need a good dual plane that breaths and a 750 on top. I'd recommend a 2800 stall, but I drove mine with stock converter and had lot's of fun. then when you want more, go to a 1.6 rocker and new springs and it will really wake you up! good luck.

How old are the springs? I had an old chev 350 that would float the valves and wouldn't free rev over 3500 cus the springs were so bad.

Do it right, do it once..... Get springs that are matched for your new cam. It may cost extra but it will be worth it in the end.

I agree. You need to the spring pressures to see what they can handle. As 1968Formula suggested, I would just opt for a cam kit and new springs. You can find deals here or on Mo*arts for parts that were never used in a project. You can also use Summit's brand (which is affordable). Many of their parts are repackaged pieces from well known mnfrs.

These guys are right. You should definitely go with the correct springs. Now, when I was low low budget, I took some time and found a low lift (under .450) cam with a mild rate of lift, like an adv. of 280 with an at .050 of 216, example, which is very mild, and took a chance and stuck it in there and it worked fine. I'm not saying you should do this, mind you, I'm just saying what I did years ago when I was learning. The most important thing I learned was that by being impatient and not getting the cam I wanted, and correct springs, retainers, locks, shims, and etc, I took a shortcut and ended up with mediocre results. You will be a happy happy guy if you take your time, save your money, buy what you want and all it requires to be right. Cause the results will be way way better. Take it from a knucklehead that learned the hard way.

Hey Everyone,
Well I have a '72 360 that I am looking to throw a cam into. I am looking for something that I can use with my current stock springs and rockers. The car is currently running a rev. manual valve body 904, and 3.91sg. Feel free to throw out cam lift/duration and brand. Thanks.

- Jon

Jon,

Just sent you a PM.

KP

Hey Everyone,

- Jon

I have the following cam, NEW in the box with NEW lifters.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P4120233/10002/-1

I have this cam in my 360 that sounds to be the your same set up and it performs great and sounds supers.

If you send me your e-mail address I would be happy to send photos for your review.

I would like to see a member as yourself on here end up with it and saver them some money as well.

The shipping cost would be $120 plus $15 for insurance and packaging to protect it from damage (Hope That Is OK?)

If you would like to buy it you can paypal the $135 to [email protected] or mail me a certified bank check to my home address.

KP

I have performer RPM springs.... and a lunati cam with .480 lift... This was a few years ago, but I think the springs were fairly cheap!

when i took out the stock springs, i could squeeze them with my hand...

KP, just want to let you know the link does not show the cam... it shows JEGS however.. not the cam.

Craig, KP's cam is a good one that'll work well with the gear ratio. Just get the MoPar springs and swap them onto the head.

It depends on the condition of the springs and if they have rotators, I have ran a MP 280/.474 with stock springs & rockers on a 360- the motor had 6k miles and the springs didn't have rotators. It may have had the 340 type springs in it too since the motor came out of a 74 360 Duster that was converted to a racecar when it was less than a year old.

-
Back