largest tire on 14" rally wheels

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
What are the largest tires you can get on 14 rally wheels with no rubbing. The wheels are so narrow its ridiculous. The car is a 68 cuda. Post pics too.

The largest "recommended" size is a 205mm, but I know guys have pushed the limits up to 225mm! It just bulges the sidewall a little too much and may break the sidewall bands!! Geof

I have 14" rally wheels on my 71 Demon and have 265 50 14s on them. I had the rims widened to 7.5 wide and no rubbing. The rim was only widened on the front edge.

Attachments

• reartire1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 590
These are 225/70-14. I don't know the wheel width. Front and rear suspension are swiped from a 73 Swinger if that makes a difference. I got no rub whatsoever.. This is the best pic i have right now..

Attachments

• Penny and Jill.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 705
So, here are a couple of fun facts about this question!!!....

First, all stock small bolt rallye rims are 5.5", no exceptions! This is the parameter that I used to answer the question above!

Next, to accurately answer the question above, one must know how to accurately read the tire size code! Not saying most of all people don't know how but just including the information!

The first number, 205 in this case, is the width of the tread in millimeters, or 205mm!
Next is the height of the sidewall in comparison to the width of the tread! In an example given above, "70" is equal to 70% of the width of 205mm, for a sidewalk height of 143.5mm!!

Next is obviously the diameter of the rim, in this case 14"! And of course the "R" stands for radial tire!

So, in answer to tis question would be that the "recommended" tread width of a tire for a 5.5" rim would be 205mm, or 8.07".

Hope this helps!! Geof

Previous owner put Dunlap 23560R14 G/T Qualifier's on my rear Rallye's and 19570R14 on the front Rallye's. I don't see any problems anywhere on my 1965 Barracuda Formula S.

I have 215/70-14s and they managed to survive a track day at Willow Springs, so no problems there.

225s on the front of a 2nd-gen Barracuda are iffy, I've heard -- they tend to catch the front edge of the wheel opening at full lock under loading (like when you make a tight turn up a steep driveway). I haven't had any problems with the 215s in this respect, even with the stainless trim.

I ran 245/60/14 bfg's for long time on factory Rally wheel. Hell I got a set on a 65 valiant in my driveway right now. They work just fine

235/60/14 on my 14x5.5 rallyes.

Attachments

• applefest.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 693
  • My Demon cruise night.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 605
9.65 section width will fit without rubbing.

The 14" rim part means nothing.

I've been running 235/60/14 on 6" wide rims with no issues for 5 years.

Why would there be an issue? I don't understand the specifying the rim width or the height of the rim?

Why would there be an issue? I don't understand the specifying the rim width or the height of the rim?

Each width of rim has a maximum width tire that should be mounted on it. Majority of tire manufacturers suggest a 225 width tire is the widest to put on a 6" rim.

In an extreme case, imagine trying to mount a 275 width tire on a 4.5" rim!

Each width of rim has a maximum width tire that should be mounted on it. Majority of tire manufacturers suggest a 225 width tire is the widest to put on a 6" rim.

In an extreme case, imagine trying to mount a 275 width tire on a 4.5" rim!

a 10.50 - 12.50 will mount on a 6" rim. As any guy with a dually will show you that.

225 to 245 is 20mm or 2 cm. Not a big deal.

a 10.50 - 12.50 will mount on a 6" rim. As any guy with a dually will show you that.

225 to 245 is 20mm or 2 cm. Not a big deal.

That's nearly 0.8". The general recommendation is around 2" wider than rim width for the tire. It may not seem like a big deal, but the wider tire puts more/different stress on the sidewall, since the sidewall is taking the weight of the car. You might be fine, but, then again, you might not be. Sidewall failure can get nasty.

The minimum recommended wheel size for a 245/60/R14 is 7". So we are talking an extra .5" per side.

I run an 11.25" rim with a 12.50 tire. That's pretty ideal. But trust me when I tell you being .5" out of spec is nothing.

Again a dually cummins truck comes stock with 235/80/17 Which are 9.60" section width on a 6" rim.

The minimum recommended wheel size for a 245/60/R14 is 7". So we are talking an extra .5" per side.

I run an 11.25" rim with a 12.50 tire. That's pretty ideal. But trust me when I tell you being .5" out of spec is nothing.

Again a dually cummins truck comes stock with 235/80/17 Which are 9.60" section width on a 6" rim.

You can run any tire "out of spec" that you want, until they fail, and your insurance company will not cover the claim because of the "out of spec" conditions! Try finding a tire store that will mount tires that are too wide for the rims, none of them will mount them and accept the liability, just as they will not mount a tire that is out of the recommended date code restrictions!

With today's tire and rim designs, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get anything but the exact recommended tire size to work at all! I have a friend who has been the manager of Discount Tire for the last 30 years, who knows tires inside and out, and will not go outside the recommended parameters for new vehicles! Too much liability from the Sue happy public to take on any such risk at all! And, if you can get a mom and pop gas station to mount your tires out of conformance, good luck getting them to cover any sort of liability at all!!

-
Back