Last trip to track - Nope! Coil went bad!?

-

wkroncke17

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
Was going to make a last trip to the track and brave the 45-50 degree temps last weekend.
Fired up the Demon, took it for a ride, gave it a good checking over and parked it Friday night.
Went to fire it up and put it on the trailer Saturday - cranked it…….no fire.
Did it a few times, not one pop.
Pulled a plug - no spark.
My first thought was start simple……try the coil.
Ordered one from Summit, put it on tonight and FIRE! Damn thing fired right up.

Ive had the car on the road for a little over a year, bought the coil/MSD box and distributor about 3 years ago.

Question Is, - Has anyone randomly had a coil go bad?
It’s the MSD Blaster High Vibration 8222 which supposedly can be mounted any way due to its encased in epoxy.

Is there a better coil choice?
I’m afraid the original one went bad, when will the one I just put on go bad unless there’s an unseen issue I’m missing.

I appreciate everyone’s help ahead of time.

Thank you!

Wally.

3628D737-A7A5-4B5E-AED4-60C4DFE402E5.png

I cannot answer when the new one will go bad, but I can tell you this. The shorter the coil wire is, the less resistance it has to fire the shot, so a short coil wire will make it easier on the coil. I see your coil wire is pretty long. Factory coils are mounted on the intake close to the distributor for a reason.

I had one of the high vibe coils go bad in my Duster 2 years ago that might have had 10-15 hours of run time. We run them in some of the formula race cars that spin to 10k rpm every shift, had one go this past summer. We’re at the point that for 65 bucks we put a new one in on every rebuild of the motor which is about 25 hours. We also test the coils and MSD boxes every 8-10 hours of race time.

If your ign system can run an E core coil, they produce faaaaaar more spark energy than canister coils.

I run a msd blaster 2 coil mounted exactly like yours. I have been using the same coil since the '90s. The quality for coils these days are hit and miss.

If your ign system can run an E core coil, they produce faaaaaar more spark energy than canister coils.
I have an MSD 6AL box and distributor.
I’m not familiar with the E core coil?

Thanks for the advice!

Asking when/ if a coil will go bad is like asking about a flat tire. Stuff DOES fail sometimes for no reason. We are hampered in the last 30 years or so, by lower and lower quality due to overseas made poor QC and other reasons. When you want to start worrying is if you start failing MORE than one, in a short time. In my lifetime (I'm 75) I only remember about 2 bad coils of mine, and maybe a total of 3-5 of friends. "It may be" that 1 or more of those was not a bad coil, at all.

I have seen many MSD canister coils and pro power die. Never had an HVC give up yet.
Can an HVC be used with MSD 6al?
I’ve seen some that say use only wit 7 series boxes such as this one.

4534534B-0280-46ED-A337-731588A3654F.png

My first inclination is that is an MSD system, with the coil going bad.

☆☆☆☆☆

There are different HVC coils [ High Voltage {high} Current ].
The 8251 is designed for MSD 7 ign
The 8252 is designed for MSD 6.
The 8253......................for MSD 6
The 8261.......................for MSD 7

I have been using the 8251 in my 66 Charger with a 7AL2 or 7AL2 plus for 15+ years street strip. One night after some Tnt at GLD I noticed the old Pro Power coil had leaked out it's cooling oil which necessitated the change. That was 2006-2008 ish. The 8251 and 8252 are my go to hotrod coils. The HVC II models are around $300 so I have avoided them (8253 and 8261).

MSD = Multi Spark

Fireing multiple times to ignite the compressed fuel hence overtaxing and burning out their MSD coil prematurely.

When a single fire HEI ignition and E-Coil works just fine.

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back