Late 70s, early 80s "must haves"

-
Or one of these!
da8a4f38e68720648b1996af7bb72228--s-hairstyles-s-clothing.jpg

I remember these days well, i graduated high school in 1980.........
Fenderwell headers were a must on big block A-Bodies in the lat '70s early '80s.
Tint the rear side windows and back glass and apply speed equipment decals all over them to fill them up.
Jack up the back end with air shocks and install 12'' shackles and chrome traction bars with M-50 14s on slotted E.T. wheels front and rear.
Dress up the engine with M/T polished aluminum valve covers with T-Handle hold downs, yellow plug wires with cheap chrome towers to hold them up, Accel Super Coil, Holley 750 double pumper carb with Weiand triangle air cleaner, fiberglass flex fan, rattle can the engine compartment with semi gloss black, and the aforementioned fenderwell headers painted white, and for good measure, add all of the chrome doodads available like master cylinder cover and a chrome water neck on the Edelbrock Tarantula intake manifold.
Hood won't close?
Then just cut a hole in it and install a snorkle scoop or leave it off all together............
In the interior, install cheap vinyl tuck and roll right over top of the original upholstery and door panels.
Then put fun fur on the package tray and glue some more to the dash pad where the Sun Super Tach is screwed to.
Install some cheap aftermarket gauges under the dash and remove the original radio and hack the dash to install the new 8 track player in it's place or mount it under the dash with some cheap speakers in the door panels or kick panels and the pioneer 6X9s sit in slanted boxes on the package tray not bolted down.
Get a 3 spoke steering wheel with a foam or metal flake cover to replace the ugly factory wheel.
Don't forget the 2'' exhaust tubing roll bar and the upper windshield tinted visor that says Plymouth or Direct Connection on it.
If you've got lots of money, you could go all out on the body and flare the fender wells and apply a 3 tone paint job to it and add a mural or pinstriping all over the car and put a name on the quarter panel like " UDUST81" (your handle).

Kraco deck with house speakers, with enough cord to power the parking lot party.

Great thread! Nothing says nostalgia to me more than one of those massive Accel Supercoils that folks have mentioned. Got to have the matching yellow plugs wires, natch!

If you can see past the Brand X, this video sums up this thread.

I remember these days well, i graduated high school in 1980.........
Fenderwell headers were a must on big block A-Bodies in the lat '70s early '80s.
Tint the rear side windows and back glass and apply speed equipment decals all over them to fill them up.
Jack up the back end with air shocks and install 12'' shackles and chrome traction bars with M-50 14s on slotted E.T. wheels front and rear.
Dress up the engine with M/T polished aluminum valve covers with T-Handle hold downs, yellow plug wires with cheap chrome towers to hold them up, Accel Super Coil, Holley 750 double pumper carb with Weiand triangle air cleaner, fiberglass flex fan, rattle can the engine compartment with semi gloss black, and the aforementioned fenderwell headers painted white, and for good measure, add all of the chrome doodads available like master cylinder cover and a chrome water neck on the Edelbrock Tarantula intake manifold.
Hood won't close?
Then just cut a hole in it and install a snorkle scoop or leave it off all together............
In the interior, install cheap vinyl tuck and roll right over top of the original upholstery and door panels.
Then put fun fur on the package tray and glue some more to the dash pad where the Sun Super Tach is screwed to.
Install some cheap aftermarket gauges under the dash and remove the original radio and hack the dash to install the new 8 track player in it's place or mount it under the dash with some cheap speakers in the door panels or kick panels and the pioneer 6X9s sit in slanted boxes on the package tray not bolted down.
Get a 3 spoke steering wheel with a foam or metal flake cover to replace the ugly factory wheel.
Don't forget the 2'' exhaust tubing roll bar and the upper windshield tinted visor that says Plymouth or Direct Connection on it.
If you've got lots of money, you could go all out on the body and flare the fender wells and apply a 3 tone paint job to it and add a mural or pinstriping all over the car and put a name on the quarter panel like " UDUST81" (your handle).

Damn Tom not only did we graduate the same year but we have the same taste in cars, my Dart had most of this at some time or other,

-Air shocks with the dash switch and pump
-long shackles with some spring helpers
-fat tires on slots that wouldn't fit in the wells
-M/T valve covers with T handles
-Yellow plug wires with the chrome super coil
-Holley 800 double pumper
-Weiand triangle Air cleaner
-flex fan
-white headers
-chrome doodads
-diamond tuff over original
-Super tack on dash
-under dash Pioneer stereo with slanted boxes on package tray
-3 spoke foam steering wheel
-flared wells
-B&M Starshifter
-wing on trunk lid
-side pipes

I think we must be kin, LOL, Dan

This was a great time in my life. Back during the Bra Less era, big hair, jeans with tanks tops. Unlike today's bitches that are tatted up, bones through the nose, nose and fore head piercings, washers in their ears. Running around with their fat guts hanging out, wearing **** that is about 3 sizes to small, most of then about a biscuit shy of 300 lbs. Most of them wearing that freshly screwed hair. You know what I mean, the crap that looks like they had a fight with a comb, and lost! Oh and ain't been washed in a year or two. Ok, I'm done

any body ever see bare footprints inside the windshield the first frosty morning the defrost was turned on.
and lace tablecloth painted hood?

any body ever see bare footprints inside the windshield the first frosty morning the defrost was turned on.
and lace tablecloth painted hood?
Yes! The barefoot prints! Didn't clean that side of the windshield for a long time, LOL

Take the spare out and make a beer cooler! A station wagon was great for that it had a drain hole for the ice melting.

If someone said an old school fiberglass "pro stock" hood scoop pop riveted on, I missed it.

How about no speakers in the rear package tray, just the openings, great for ditching the bong into the trunk when getting pulled over by the po-lice.....sorry ocifer, I don't know why its wet back there and no, the truck lock is broken... this in an absolute rusted out primered beater pos 70 challenger, in 1981 no less, a common sight (cars turned to junk with short life span in harsh environment) in the Chicago area...:eek:

Street freaks were great for their time in the1970s, but in the 80s and 90s when i was restoring these cars, i had to unfuck every bit of it lol. Most of it ended up either in the trash can, or swap meet, then i had to either junkyard crawl or do swap meets to buy stock replacement parts. Its cool to do if you can easily reverse it back to stock. I draw the line at hacking holes in hoods, unless you have a nice spare flat hood you can use.

-
Back