Late "A" body - 6.1 HEMI

-

one1dk

Reaction score
Hi.

Now I finaly, got my engine. A 6.1L 09. There is just one thing that worrys me - the alternator and the clearence. Is there anybody out there, with the experience with this??? The car - 67 "A" body - 6.1 HEMI

Thanks!

I seem to remember that the truck or car version of the 6.1 had the better alternator positioning but I can't remember which. There are posts out there outlining this (somewhere).

the 6.1 was never offered in the truck. but the truck timeing cover will bolt on. then you will have to buy the truck alt. as the mounts are diffrent. im not sure what else you will need for the belt drive set up. but it is possable to convert it. the problem though is that you will run into problems with the intake manifold and the truck timing cover as the cover and the throttle body will want to occupy some of the same space. you can buy a kit though that will allow it to work though. inertia motorsports sells one.

is´nt it possible to keep the setup with the alternator as it is???

Yes, it is, you just need to notch and reinforce the frame rail. I believe "GDemon" has done this.

You can notch the frame where the alternator is or convert to truck cover and accessories.

Both will work. I'm going to notch the frame on mine. I do however have everything needed to change over to truck accessories, cover and all accessories.

Riddler

It's close, but it fits. I cut and rewelded the flange on top of the frame rail for a little added clearance. You can't use the truck front cover unless you change the intake also. I think the car front cover with the alternator down low looks better.
img0007tv.jpg

img0008hx.jpg

img0006wu.jpg

Just grabe the cut off wheel and grinder, then get busy.

what about the setup in the SRT8 Jeep, Aren't those truck motors?

Took a shot in the dark on this one (I've drive and SRT8 Jeep there pretty bad ***) figured the Jeep was a truck/suv so guess I was wrong

Plasma aluminum? Ar home, cut off wheel and grinders even a hacksaw. If you have access, a bridgeport.

not the valve cover, but you can plasma the k member and frame. (for oil filter and alt clearance)

Piece of cake, just cut & weld the frame.

Attachments

• 100_1779.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 634
Wow Tin, it looks like you had to cut a whole lot more out of the frame than I did. I didn't have to touch the vertical wall of the frame, only the flat top part that stuck out past the wall.

I didnt have to trim mine at all. I guess they are all built a little different. I use tti mounts in all my swaps.

Attachments

• P9060333.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 612
Thanks for all your help.. :) I did it the "plasmaway" - and it looks great :) Now ready for paint.

I didnt have to trim mine at all. I guess they are all built a little different. I use tti mounts in all my swaps.
Looks like you are running a different alternator then Tin is. What alt are you using? Tin's is the one I'm use to seeing with the single bolt on the top facing the engine.

Any way you could get us a part number off that ALT? What is you 6.1 out of?

Thanks,

JOE

Wow Tin, it looks like you had to cut a whole lot more out of the frame than I did. I didn't have to touch the vertical wall of the frame, only the flat top part that stuck out past the wall.

Mine is an Early A, about 3" narrower than a later A.

-
Back