late model 318 904 and 63 /6 904 question

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I have an opportunity to get a 904 tranny that was mated to a 318 from an 80s police car.
I have a 63 Dart and am considering rebuilding the tranny but to get some experience I thought I might get a tranny to practice on.
Are there any parts that I could use from the later model tranny to fit my older tranny if I were to rebuild it?
Is it worth it and are there things to look out for?

Thanks guys.
John

A 904 is a 904 is a 904, minus a few minor differences here and there. Hack away.

Cases will be different between /6 and small block but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Umm... doesn't the 63 have a rear pump? Pretty sure it still did. If that's the case there's a whole lot of differences in them.

YUP. I have no idea if you can convert from/ to, etc. Even so, if you can get this trans cheap, it might be worth it and fun for a guinea pig.

some of those cop transmixers had one more clutch disc and steel per clutch pack. my 87 vintage cop trans is one of those monsters. from what i understand (wich is somewhat vague please chime in anyone if im wrong) they were A999's. was your cop trans in a cruiser or highway patrol rig? most cruisers got the 904, because they were 318 2 barrel engines, most of the highway patrol cars got the A999, and were run with the 4 barrel 360 headed 318 mongoloid engines like mine is, and if i were a bettin' man id say it most likely has a lockup converter, and the valve bodies will differ. on the input shaft, 26 spline=lockup, 27 spline=non-lockup. if your interested i have the original 55,000 mile 904 out of my 66 that id part with for a song and a dance!

The 904 out of my 72 had the 5 disk front drum. Not sure it came that way originally or was beefed up somewhere down the line. BUT the front drum on your 63 transmission almost certainly is only a 3 disk, so the potential for a upgrade is there. Also, if you swap the front pump, input shaft etc... into your 63 case you'll be able to use the more common 68-up converters.

-
Back