Late model exhaust manifolds in an early A-body

-

valiantwagon

Reaction score
Just got done installing exhaust manifolds from a 1992 Dakota into my 1965 Valiant wagon.
I did have to do a little "massaging" on the drivers side manifold (as seen in the first picture). I did install the manifolds after the motor was installed, you will need to use bolts only (no studs) to mount them to the heads.
I also shimmed the drivers side motor mount up about 5/16".

My car is a little different since it has had a steering column out of a '67 Dart installed when the trans was changed from the cable shift to the later model mechanical linkage. I did trim the housing on the column (also put heat wrap around the trimmed area to protect the plastic bushing, done since the pic was taken) along with grinding away some of the manifold for steering coupler clearance.
It does have a mini starter off of a Dakota on it also (but I think the stock starter would work fine).
The passenger side went on with no modifications whatsoever. There is only about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance to the inner fender.
You do NOT have to use the 90 degree oil filter adapter as long as you run a short filter!:thumleft:
I am taking the car to the muffler shop this week for a full exhaust system, it does not look like there will be any problems hooking up to the manifolds.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the install.

Attachments

• 010111133807.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 768
  • 010111163745.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 731
  • 010111163831.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 743
Nice! I have been looking into doing the same thing to mine. I like to tinker around on my '64 and the TTI's I have on there now make it a pain to work on anything. On the passenger side do they drop right in or do you have to lift the motor up to slide them in?

Looks like no clearance for a PS Box. My wife said we gotta have PS so looks like original A manifolds for me

Looks like milling the LH manifold would help on clearence and that there is no way to use them on a P/S car.

I thought about that (milling the manifold). I think you could safely take about 1/8" off of it. Would gain a little more clearance that way. If I do another one, will probably do this.

Do those manifolds flow better tthan stock 273 ones?

Now THERE'S the question! It'd be a cryin' shame to do all that work and have the net result be a cosmetic change. Though it does seem to me that the original manifolds head pipe may have been 1 & 7/8", versus 2 & 1/4" for the Durango manifolds. If those sizes are correct, the Durangos _should_ flow better!

those manifolds flow excellent!! 92 magnum manifolds flow as good as U can get for Iron. ('cept maybe real 340 manifolds) ( the later ones flowed almost as good: 94 up?)

I must be tired....I just looked online for 30 minutes trying to find new 1992 Dakota xhuast manifolds.......Nadda! Where did you get yours???

I picked mine up at a local wrecking yard, ran me about $45.00 for the pair (I got lucky).
Been keeping an eye out for more, will post if I find any.

I would angle mill them.. Take the max thickness off the rear. They flow MUCH better than the 273 manifolds and as noted, you dont have to pull the column... Wicked cool..

I'm glad to see that you were able to bet them in. I wanted to do the same with my 70 Dart with p/s and it is a no go. If I had done a lot of work and mods I might have been able to make them work but as it were I wound up with an early 340 drivers manifold and passenger is the big outlet magnum. Dyno tests showed that the magnum manifolds were close to the 340 ones so I dont really feel like they are mismatched.

i have a set that i took out of my 64 that were already milled down on the ds. if anyone in the northern california area is looking for some, let me know. i could ship them as well but the shipping probably wouldnt be worth it.

Pick up any clearance by milling the gasket surface? Thick enough to be feasible?

I have a set of 66 Dart GT 273 Manifolds .... sandblasted and painted with Eastwoods Stainless manifold paint... They ain't cheap , but good to have - PM me

I would be happy to answer any questions about the install.
Did you ever consider mounting the manifolds in reverse? IE, passenger on the driverside/driver on the passenger side, and have the exhaust flanges from the front of the engine ala ford trucks w/ Y-block engines?

Found a 64 273 driverside exhaust manifold on ebay Item# 260728256937
Maybe worth checking out. I think 4 days left.

I did consider mounting them exiting forward (briefly), but they went on pretty easy exiting back. Would have looked pretty strange too.

I have set off of a 92 datoka that I have yet to install, my car is a 64 valiant V-8 four speed car and I will document the install when I can find time to do the deed......I also have toyed with the idea of reverseing the manifolds, but also like the idea of milling the gasket surface....looks good glad someone has done this and has pics to show the work...awesome..

I have set off of a 92 datoka that I have yet to install, my car is a 64 valiant V-8 four speed car and I will document the install when I can find time to do the deed......I also have toyed with the idea of reverseing the manifolds, but also like the idea of milling the gasket surface....looks good glad someone has done this and has pics to show the work...awesome..

I'll be watching to see how it turns out for ya.:yawinkle:

-
Back