LCA does not look right

-

demon67

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am in the process of changing the LCA bushings on my 72 Demon and noticed something odd with one of the LCA. I attached a couple of pictures for reference. So the LCA on the right has what looks like a collar around the part that the Torsion bar slides in and the LCA on the left does not have one. Same thing on the opposite side. No round collar that sits on the outside of the part that the torsion bar slides in. Now the LCA that has no collar, is loose and I can separate both side of the LCA and wiggle the round piece that the torsion bar slides in a little. The LCA with the collar is tight. Has anyone encountered this before and if so, what is the fix? Or do I have to buy another LCA?
Thanks FABO

002.JPG

001.JPG

You just have minor difference's in the "stamping" between those two lower control arms, throughout the years.
That's nothing to be concerned about.
Just the way one was pulled off the LCA assembly line that day in installing everything onto the car, or maybe one was replaced in the life of a 48 year old car.
If you think one has more "wiggle" than the other, some looseness is pretty normal, on old LCA's, but if you feel it's too much, member Jim Lusk has a video on how to "tighten" up the slop in Mopar LCA's.
Do a search.

Here's his video, if you haven't found it.
I just book marked, it myself.

Last edited:
You just have minor difference's in the "stamping" between those two lower control arms, throughout the years.
Just the way one was pulled off the LCA assembly line that day in installing everything onto the car, or maybe one was replaced in the life of a 48 year old car.
If you think one has more "wiggle" than the other, some looseness is pretty normal, on old LCA's, but if you feel it's too much, member Jim Lusk has a video on how to "tighten" up the slop in Mopar LCA's.
Do a search.
Awesome! Thanks for the information hemi71X. I will definitely do a search for Jim's video on how to tighten up the slop.

Awesome! Thanks for the information hemi71X. I will definitely do a search for Jim's video on how to tighten up the slop.
You can tighten up the slop by either drilling out the heavy spot weld or regular weld on the plates that the rubber bumper sits on. Cut one side, place the control arm in a vice and squeeze it together until the slop is tightened up. then re-weld the plate the bumper is on.

Do a search.

Here's his video, if you haven't found it.
I just book marked, it myself.

Thank for the link.

I've seen both types. You can see them in my video. I suspect the non-lip version was later and probably to keep costs down (slightly less metal). Given a choice I'd go with the lipped version every time just because they SEEM to be a better part. I have no data to back that up, however...

I've seen both types. You can see them in my video. I suspect the non-lip version was later and probably to keep costs down (slightly less metal). Given a choice I'd go with the lipped version every time just because they SEEM to be a better part. I have no data to back that up, however...
That does make sense. When I first seen the non lip, I was kind of worried. Great video and very helpful. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

-
Back