LCA pivot pins into new bushings:(

-

moparman111

Reaction score
Fellow members I am still learning when it comes to these old Mopars. I am use to working on trucks so this uni-body cars front suspension is driving me nuts! I got the front suspension apart, cleaned up and painted. I started with pressing in the LCA bushings but when I started to press in the pin it simply started pushing out the sleeve. Whats the trick in getting the pivot pin in its sleeve in the LCA bushing? Any info is greatly appreciated:). Please note I have that first pin about a .25" or so into the sleeve. The second I didn't mess with until I find the best solution. Thank you

RAM

I take mine to a local machine shop and let them take care of it. You may need a special collar to help press it in properly...

I pressed the bushing onto the pin.
Then pressed the pin/bushing assembly into the LCA.
I found out the hard way too.
I screwed up an upper bushing too.

So the bushing is now ruined? I already put both bushings in the LCA's. Is there no way to get the pivot pin in once the bushing is in the LCA?

If you're doing the upper control arms you might consider buying new control arms.
They come with bushings and ball joints installed.
I got mine 20% off at Classic.
When you total up the bushings, ball joints and ball joint socket you're pretty close on cost.
Plus the pipe nipple / all thread DIY install tool isn't as easy as some say it is.
I've since bought a shop press.

I already have the UCA's cleaned up and purchased the Super graphite kit for them. Now I am just worried I already messed up by pressing the bushings in the LCA's first:(

I guess what you wanna do make sure all the force is on the outer shell when you are pressing them in.
That's how I ruined an upper bushing.
I sandblasted everything first too, so rust was not an issue.

So the bushing is now ruined? I already put both bushings in the LCA's. Is there no way to get the pivot pin in once the bushing is in the LCA?
It's ok if you already pressed the bushing into the lower control arm.
To press the pivot pin (shaft) into the bushing that's now in the LCA, all that you have to do is support the bushing from the back side by using a deep impact socket that fits the diameter of the bushing.
Your probably gonna be needing a third hand to support the socket in the LCA, and then using another of your hands to hold the LCA under the arm of the press, and then your other hand to pump the handle of the press.
Easy, peasy, once you figure it out, and do a set for the first time.

Guys does anyone know if I already pushed the inner sleeve (the one the pin goes in) out an inch or so would that ruin that bushing? I carefully pressed it back into its proper location.

I am going to have my dad run the UCA's and LCA's to a machine shop tomorrow to press in all the bushings. I think the place can make a round piece that goes in the hole for the TB and hold the sleeve in place while the pin is pressed into it. I just want to be sure the bushing isn't ruined before I go through the trouble.

It's ok if you already pressed the bushing into the lower control arm.
To press the pivot pin (shaft) into the bushing that's now in the LCA, all that you have to do is support the bushing from the back side by using a deep impact socket that fits the diameter of the bushing.
Your probably gonna be needing a third hand to support the socket in the LCA, and then using another of your hands to hold the LCA under the arm of the press, and then your other hand to pump the handle of the press.
Easy, peasy, once you figure it out, and do a set for the first time.

An assortment of sockets is good.
I also have access to pipe nipples, couplings, flanges and conduit fittings where I work.

I tried and the bob the builder set of sockets in my dads little shed (where the press was) didn't have a socket that seemed to fit that hole tight enough. Who knows, it was hot and I was getting irritated that I ruined the bushing that I might have been just disgusted with myself. I have already ruined on UCA trying to remove an old bushing. I think once he explains to the machine shop what we want they will go in without issue. I was just wiery since I had just moved the sleeve.

Hemi71x knows what he's talking about. He restores these all the time... Listen to his advice...

Trust me I always take everyone's advise on here to heart. I am so grateful for everyone on here who is kind enough to lend their years of knowledge in which I am 100% sure is knowledge from hard knocks. I love this site and all the friendly people on it. I am sure he is dead on. I am just sure a machine shop will put these in a lot easier than I.

Yes, but you also need to tell who are the "experts" and follow their advice...

Sometimes you get conflicting advice and need to know who to listen to...

Guys does anyone know if I already pushed the inner sleeve (the one the pin goes in) out an inch or so would that ruin that bushing? I carefully pressed it back into its proper location.

I am going to have my dad run the UCA's and LCA's to a machine shop tomorrow to press in all the bushings. I think the place can make a round piece that goes in the hole for the TB and hold the sleeve in place while the pin is pressed into it. I just want to be sure the bushing isn't ruined before I go through the trouble.

My last bit of advice that i can also give you is find a shop, and mechanic at that shop that knows what the heck he's doing on Mopar lower and upper control arms.
Been many instances on this forum how members have taken their suspension parts to a "shop" and the mechanic F'd them up royaly.
There are 20 something, year old mechanics out there in the world that never have seen, worked on, 40+ year old Mopar parts.

Look at the top of page 10 of "Home made tools" thread.
I'm not sure how to post a link.
I did something similar but used a pipe flange.
A gear puller may work too.
I used a gear puller to push the pivot shaft out before I had a press.

Very true Krazy. Krazy do you know would that LCA bushing be okay being I moved that sleeve? I did press it back but I am worried that the metal sleeve is suppose to be stuck to the rubber. Molded I mean.

Hemi I totally understand. We have used this particular shop on a handful of occasions for more machine type issues. They are a Mennonite shop in PA. There is another in MD that we have used too but they are normally so busy doing commercial stuff they take a long time. Again, I cant thank you guys enough for the help.

Fellow members I am still learning when it comes to these old Mopars. I am use to working on trucks so this uni-body cars front suspension is driving me nuts! I got the front suspension apart, cleaned up and painted. I started with pressing in the LCA bushings but when I started to press in the pin it simply started pushing out the sleeve. Whats the trick in getting the pivot pin in its sleeve in the LCA bushing? Any info is greatly appreciated:). Please note I have that first pin about a .25" or so into the sleeve. The second I didn't mess with until I find the best solution. Thank you

RAM
First you press the pin into the bushing and then the bushing and pin into the lower control arm using the lip on the bushing. Do not press it in using the pin or it will push out the sleeve.

Very true Krazy. Krazy do you know would that LCA bushing be okay being I moved that sleeve? I did press it back but I am worried that the metal sleeve is suppose to be stuck to the rubber. Molded I mean.
That's going to be a "judgement call" of yours, on using that bushing.
You did tear away the moulding of the rubber to the metal sleeve.
But will that be detramental, when the shaft is pressed in?
Dunno, as i never have had to do bushing work, knowing a bushing has been compromised like that before.

First you press the pin into the bushing and then the bushing and pin into the lower control arm using the lip on the bushing. Do not press it in using the pin or it will push out the sleeve.

When Ma Mopar invented this type of suspension probably back in the 50's, the Miller Special Tool Co., "factory tool" to install the bushing and shaft back into the LCA, was nothing more than a length of plumbing pipe, the diameter of the lip, of the lower control arm bushing.
Yes, the easy way is press the shaft into the bushing first, then press the bushing with the shaft back into the LCA, with the pipe.
But you gotta go back to the late 50's early 60's, factory service manuals for them to tell you how it was done back in the day.
I took two pictures to give you an idea what I'm talking about here.

LCA Bushing Tool 001 (Small).JPG

LCA Bushing Tool 002 (Small).JPG

I can't remember where I got new bushings from but I do know that after Advance Auto sold me the wrong pitman arm I got the correct one from Amazon. Had it within a couple days.

Did you make sure that you removed the inner sleeve from the pin before trying to put it back together?

A lot of "do it yourselfers" make mistakes here. Just as or more common mistake, Fully tighten the pivot pin while the arm is pointed about 45 degrees down from where it runs. Then sitting the car down or otherwise rotating the arm to where it runs would rip the bushing apart internally. Clocking the torsion bar hex sockets needs to be correct too. Knowledge is power. read read read.

I would replace it, if not, when you get a load on it, it might spit the bushing out.

-
Back