LCA Pivot Shaft removal

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
While I'm not new to suspension work, I am new to Mopars. Before I take a guess and maybe mess it up, how do you remove the lower control arm pivot shaft? Looks to be pressed in but I want to be sure before I start messing with it. Thanks FABO.

I run the nut out to the end of the threads,,and hit it with a BFH...

The OEM pins are pressed, and the poly bushing are a slip in fit.

Thanks guys. Knew I'd get good info here. I'm rebuilding mine with the PST super front end kit.

I run the nut out to the end of the threads,,and hit it with a BFH...
HUH ? Wouldn't that would be driving the pivot shaft in the wrong direction ? Here's the thing, some of the aftermarkets hard plastic bushings replace only the OEM rubber which means the original metal sleeve(s) need to be retained. I would first burn out the OEM rubber with a torch ( yeah it smokes and stinks, but it works ). Then I would determine if I need to remove only 1 or both OEM metal sleeves.

HUH ? Wouldn't that would be driving the pivot shaft in the wrong direction ? Here's the thing, some of the aftermarkets hard plastic bushings replace only the OEM rubber which means the original metal sleeve(s) need to be retained. I would first burn out the OEM rubber with a torch ( yeah it smokes and stinks, but it works ). Then I would determine if I need to remove only 1 or both OEM metal sleeves.
I believe he is asking about removing the shaft and arm from the K frame....

I believe he is asking about removing the shaft and arm from the K frame....
It's been awhile for me. If that's the case, I don't remember if you have to remove the strut rod or just remove the nut from the LCA to the strut rod.
On the pivot shaft, I would make sure I got replacement bushings that deleted the metal sleeves, because you're pretty much going to destroy those things.

I have the LCA off the K-frame and it's all cleaned up. Just need to remove the pivot shaft from the LCA so I can install the new pieces.

I have the LCA off the K-frame and it's all cleaned up. Just need to remove the pivot shaft from the LCA so I can install the new pieces.

Then you can burn or cut the rubber out and leave the outer sleeve in the control arm to house the poly's.
A drill could help with getting the old rubber loose.
Do yourself a favor and silicone grease the pee out of the pins inside the poly.

I left the inner sleeve that goes around the pin on so the poly fit tighter.

Thanks Trailbeast. I'm used to pressing out the entire bushing assy and then pressing the new one in. I'll try it your way.

Well shoot, if you have a press get a rod that will go through the torsion bar seat and press it out. The rubber will pull away from the outer shell and the pivot will come out with the inner sleeve still attached. The rubber will pull out in a few chunks as it is not attached to the outer shell. To get the inner sleeve off of the pivot shaft, get a hammer and hammer it on a vise 90* apart. The sleeve is softer than the pivot and will stretch and slide right off the pivot.

-
Back