LCA reinforcement plates.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Is there really any need to reinforce the lower control arms ? Ive seen these plates for sale and all ways wondered if it was really worth doing ?

I can make my own out of scrap lying on the shop floor if its worth my time doing.

My uncle made mine, he printed a copy off of the internet, then made some for his 71 Dart too. I would think they help a little, just to be sure to leave enough room so you can get a socket on the big adjusting nut, I had to grind mine out a little.

Maybe a bit of help, couldnt hurt.
If you consider that only the balljoint end is rivited together and the other end is free to move about the torsion bar socket, I can see that there might be some worth in it.

I kinda figure its a cant hurt type of mod. Its free with some scrap metal from the shop and a few minutes of welding.

Jim Lusk made a recomendation to cut the weld on one side of the topside bumper plate, put the LCA in a vice and take some of the slop out of the LCA socket movement first. Then weld the top plate and ad the bottom plate. But beware; make sure you can get a socket in there for the tbar adjuster!!

Jim Lusk made a recomendation to cut the weld on one side of the topside bumper plate, put the LCA in a vice and take some of the slop out of the LCA socket movement first. Then weld the top plate and ad the bottom plate. But beware; make sure you can get a socket in there for the tbar adjuster!!

I came back to add that very thought but ya beat me to it 69 :-D
I have plans to add them too (Someday)

Just another way to reduce flex. Also adds a small amount more unsprung weight but that's close to negligible. Probably not terribly important if the factory didn't think to do it. I did it on my old Belvedere just to have it, not sure if it helped anything. Kind of a road-race inspired modification to reduce deflection when cornering, keeps the sides of the LCA from bowing out under load. Might also be good if your car wheelstands real high though!

The part where the AR Engineering plate overlaps is redundant and just adds unsprung weight. The big flex can come from the added loads from 1 1/8" sway bar. More so with the 73-76 style that has the bracket in the center of the LCA.

Here is a picture of the ones I did in 1998 that I still run. Just common metal strap about the same thickness as the LCA stamping.

The strap I added here at the end under the strut rod and forged end piece is a waste. Could have moved that to the spot next to the adjuster bolt. There's no need for one constant strap.

But the strap at the inner end IMHO, is a benefit too. If you observe a lot of LCA's that T-bar anchor can very in looseness. It's just sandwiched between the halves of the LCA and the halves can spread over time and cause looseness. I tightened mine up in a vise to keep some movement, then welded them.

LwrCntls.JPG

-
Back