LD 4B tells a story...

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A couple days ago I was trying to reorganize a bunch of my parts hoard. I was moving intake manifolds around and noticed the difference between the ports on 2 manifolds. I was pretty sure they were both Edelbrock LD 4Bs made for the small port 273 and 318 heads, so I pulled them out and compared them. One was a relatively late one as indicated by the shape of the carb mount, the older one was a square bore mount with no extra plate required and had the Chrysler (Hustle Stuff?) part number cast into the manifold.
DSC00552.JPG

I remember getting the older one for a steal at a swap meet ($100) because the owner said that it had been repaired. I looked at the excellently executed welding and said what the heck and shelled out $100, took it home and put it on a shelf with another LD 4B. Once I started looking at the ports and measured them, the newer manifold had ports 2" tall (when you hear somebody talk about the good old days of quality control, look at the port alignment on that one) and the older manifold ports were 2 1/4 " tall. Further investigating showed that the welding was to build up the top of the mating surface and then opened up the ports to the size of a (you guessed it) a 340 port!
DSC00550.JPG

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00553.JPG

Whoever did this was a real artist converting a small port small block port to a large port configuration. It was a lot of work! So the question is, why? There has to be a story here...

Guess #1 - owner bought a 340 car early in the 68 model year and Edelbrock hadn't brought out the LD340 yet, so they made their own...

Guess #2 - owner had a 318 and wanted to install 340 or 360 heads and just modified the manifold they had to port match the new heads...

Guess #3 - owner was an old time hot rodder who just didn't think anything of using their skills and what was available rather than shell out $80 (what I paid for a new LD 4B in 1975)...

Whoever that guy was, my hat is off to them. That manifold has a feeling of real hot rodding history, now all I need is another 340 to try it out on...

Really not that difficult to weld up that LD4B for those versed in using a Heliarc TIG welder.

Screenshot_20231102-201158_Firefox.jpg

Pictured here is the Weiand 8022 larger port intake on a 360, and an LD4B Intake manifold for the 318s.

Screenshot_20231102-201311_Gallery.jpg

20230115_142424.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Since the LD4B came before the LD340 by a little bit, maybe the LD340 was not out yet so they modified accordingly.

Does anybody know when they stopped producing the LD 4B? I have a 1972 Edelbrock catalog that still has them...

Does anybody know when they stopped producing the LD 4B? I have a 1972 Edelbrock catalog that still has them...
Well, I bet it ain't 72 then. lol I would "think" they were made well into the 70s at least, as Direct Connection was cookin with gas then, so the market was still pretty hot.

In your first photo, is the older LD4B the one in the left or right? Anyone know when/why the carb mounting base changed?

I reached out to Edelbrock about 7 years ago asking them a few questions about the LD4B. One of them was how many years they made them and their response was from 1967 to 1981.

I reached out to Edelbrock about 7 years ago asking them a few questions about the LD4B. One of them was how many years they made them and their response was from 1967 to 1981.
That sounds about right.

I had posted a while back about their ports not being consistent in size, and they are fatter and shorter than the 318 and 273 head ports. I think Edelbrocks have always been that way to a certain extent. The Holley intakes have always looked very nice, coming from the Winters foundry. Compare a LD4B to a smallblock Holley Street Dominator and you will see the difference.

I had posted a while back about their ports not being consistent in size, and they are fatter and shorter than the 318 and 273 head ports. I think Edelbrocks have always been that way to a certain extent. The Holley intakes have always looked very nice, coming from the Winters foundry. Compare a LD4B to a smallblock Holley Street Dominator and you will see the difference.
The LD4B I purchased in '84 had ports almost halfway between 'teener & 340 size ports, & they weren't perfectly placed or sized either, unlike the later '00's RPM 440 intake that was nearly perfect....unfortunately that seems not to be the case any longer....now having to compete with Chinkanese rip-offs.

I know this is for a big block, but the ports on my second hand Edelbrock Performer 383 were amazingly accurate. I saw no need for any port matching

IMG_20210605_153710.jpg

-
Back