LD340 whats a fair price to pay for one these days?

-

HotRod20

Reaction score
Considering buying an LD 340 in good shape,guy is asking $300..is that fair or a little high $$.
Other option is a Weiand x celerator for $150...
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks
HR20

Good price, have seen them go for a lot more. They are hard to find, and hard to find unmolested in good shape.

Check the thermostat threads and the carb mount threads for being stripped. Lots have been heli-coiled or not. Also check for corrosion at the water ports on the intake side.

Can also see if someone cut down the partition in the plenum.

the LD340 ia a good intake...the "go to" one back in the day. The weind will perform fine in your street car. Unless you want the nostalgic value buy the Weind. . It's hard to beat the stock cast iron pieces.There are many of them bolted on on 10 second 340's.
That's a good price for LD340.

Before the corona crap, they were going for 150-175 at the swap meets here in my area.

If you don't have to do anything to it that's a very fair price. I just bought one at Carlisle for $200.00 and had to do some minor repair work - Repair bypass threads, weld up blown out hole on thermostat threads and add helicoils. Currently adding recessed pockets on the heat crossover for stainless block off plates. I know.. its over kill.

LD340 heat block.jpg

I think the prices of these old intakes are off base and to damn much.

If it has the factory Chrysler part number and has not been cut or ported or altered in any way shape form or fashion and all bolt holes are good, that's a decent price. With a port clean up, one would probably match or beat the Air Gap right out of the box. It's a darn good old school intake.

If you don't have to do anything to it that's a very fair price. I just bought one at Carlisle for $200.00 and had to do some minor repair work - Repair bypass threads, weld up blown out hole on thermostat threads and add helicoils. Currently adding recessed pockets on the heat crossover for stainless block off plates. I know.. its over kill.

unless you're racing i'd leave the heat crossover alone.It provides quicker warm up and better performance and fuel mileage.A performance gain may not be noticed on a street car.
Been a long time since i've seen one for $150 - $200....good find!

A used Edelbrock RPM performs the same. And since newer tend to be in better shape.

Don’t get caught up in the hype.

Its vintage hipo/speed stuff, its always going to have a "following" that will drive prices up. Yep better intakes avail, new right off the shelf. Life is full of forks in the road.....no difference here.

A used Edelbrock RPM performs the same. And since newer tend to be in better shape.

Don’t get caught up in the hype.

If it wasn't for the hype we'd all be building Volares and Aspens or driving new Challengers...they are much newer.I don't know if the newer intakes perform better, as said there are 10 second 340's running stock cast manifolds.
Don't get me wrong, i like new things but not until they get old. When i see an old school 340 Dart with an LD340 it puts me right back at the strip in 1970.

Last edited:
i can remember Friday and Saturday nights at the local A&W or local drive in restaurant. A steady parade of guys coming and then leaving hard and chirping through 4 gears! All night was like Woodward Cruise at times and the bleachers were packed at our local strips.
Yah the old cars and hype mean a lot to some of us older guys but that trend is changing with the younger/ newer guys putting their own spin on the hobby.
It's all good!

If it wasn't for the hype we'd all be building Volares and Aspens or driving new Challengers...they are much newer.I don't know if the newer intakes perform better, as said there are 10 second 340's running stock cast manifolds.
Don't get me wrong, i like new things but not until they get old. When i see an old school 340 Dart with an LD340 it puts me right back at the strip in 1970.

Good point.

An old school build....

So if the car has 17” rims and fuel injection, new modern carb, aluminum welded-top radiator...

...adding a LD340 to that would be an exercise in futility, right?

Edit: for clarity

Last edited:
Good point.

An old school build....

So if the car has 17” rims and fuel injection, new modern carb, aluminum welded-top radiator...

...that would be an exercise in futility, right?

might be a gorgeous car if done to a high level.
Not everybody likes the old stuff.

-
Back