LD4B on a 360

-

AHcuda

Reaction score
Have a LD4B intake and getting ready to build '78 model 360 engine. This intake be ok for a 360?

I want to say I read on here once that the LD4B has 318 sized ports so if you want to run it on a 360 you would do well gasket matching them

It will work.

The ports are actually for the 273/318 heads, but can be port matched to the 360 heads.

Or trade one for an LD340 which is the comparable intake but for the larger ports of the 340/360 heads. I have more trouble finding the LD4B than the LD340. It may be worth trading someone who is building a 273/318 and getting a LD340.

Just a few options.

But yes, it will work and run great. Unless you can upgrade to the LD340, go with the LD4B.

*Sidenote: The LD4B does not have attaching bosses for the stock coil mount on the intake, where the LD340 does....

You will have to find an external place to mount the coil if you go with the LD4B...

Those are the pros and cons, you make the decision that best fits your situation....

The LD4B is a great street intake to bolt on a basically stock small block. It has nice low end and mid range, no hiccups off the line when set up properly. Same with the LD340.

Run the LD4b. It's a good intake if you can live without the coil mount.

The port window thing is a red herring. How big is the port window on a Stealth intake? People recommend the stealth on 340-360 all the time. I'll give you a hint... The stealth has a 1.95 x 1.00 window. A Performer 318/360 that NOBODY recommends has a 1.96 x .96. Those are BOTH small port window sizing!

An EDE RPM or air gap has a port opening of 2.17x.98-1.00

It's another of the great mopar fallacies that just won't die.

Yes, the port mismatch is minor detail, not a deal breaker.

The LD4b has approximately, actually larger, window than the Stealth.

1.95 x 1.05

The last LD4B I had was in decent shape and I sold it for enough to buy the correct manifold for my build. I'm just saying that these are getting harder and harder to find and the 318 guys really want them.

Here is one that sold for $275 last month on eBay. You could buy a new Air Gap with that kind of money!

I have both intakes the LD340 and the LD4B both on motors.
The thing I really hate about them is the lack of a 3/8 npt port for a mechanical temperature gauge.

On a mild to mildly moderate 360 on the street, it will be fantastic. The smaller port sizes will act like funnels and increase velocity, which in turn will increase bottom end torque. .

-
Back