Lead Supplement

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey,

I just got my 340 running, and where I live the best I can find is Sunoco 94 octane fuel....

Would it be to my benefit to add one of those lead supplment containers to my tank when I fill up?

Will the car run better/have more power?

I am 24 and new to this, so I am not sure what the difference of lead fuel is....

Thanks,

Shane

First a couple questions, what is the comp. ratio of the 340, do the heads have hardened exhaust valve seats, are the intake and exhaust valve guides bronze and is this a daily driver?

Terry

Yes its a daily driver the comp. is 10:1. I am using X heads, that had new springs and valves put in. I am not sure about the bronze valve guides...

thanks

Yes its a daily driver the comp. is 10:1. I am using X heads, that had new springs and valves put in. I am not sure about the bronze valve guides...

thanks

IMHO, the 94 octane fuel should work fine with that comp ratio so that only leaves needing the lead if you don't have the hardened seats and guides since that was the main reason that long ago the lead was added to fuel in the first place. Octane booster being the other one.

Of course lets not forget the conspiracy between Exxon and teta-ethyl-lead manufactorers in the early 1900's may have something to do with lead in the fuel.

Terry

-
Back