Leaf help early A body

-

djwhog

Reaction score
I have a 64 GT Dart. I need new rear leafs. What will work on this car that you guys have used? I saw these HD springs from Mancini how much more than stock are they in stiffness, and how much more lift on the body? Anyone use them? I also saw super stock Mopar springs, but their description looks like something I dont want. So what is the difference? I just want to get the worn out stockers replaced, and if I get a little better control in turns and a little stiffer that is fine with in reason. I don’t want it to drive like a truck. Also if it sits up to an inch higher than stock that is ok, I just don’t want to lift it to much. I run 225x60x15s and they fit with the stock worn springs.

What would you guys use for a street strip car. I have front and rear sway bars better shocks poly bushings in frt end etc. Looking for better handling and want the car to sit not much more than the stock rake. Thanks! :salute:

Descriptdions I found.

MANCINI - (A-Body) Extra Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Set
Mancini Racing now offers replacement XHD springs for your Dodge or Plymouth A-Body. Bolt in a set today, designed for high performance A-Body cars. These springs have 1" added to stock arch to give more room for larger tires and better traction. Springs have front bushings installed. Springs are sold as sets only

MANCINI - A Body Pro/Stock Spring - 3000lbs.
Mancini Racing now offers Pro-Stock drag race leaf springs sets. These springs have 2" added to stock arch to give more room for larger tires and better traction. Springs have front bushing installed. Springs only sold in sets. Price includes a set of shackles or u-bolts.

I bougt the XHD springs for the Demon and the back end of the car was high in the air, I originally thought it would come down but after a year, it was still high. So I flipped the front hanger to bring it down. Now it sits just nice. For my 65 Cuda I have just regular HD springs. The car isn't finished so I can't tell you how it sits yet.
I ran the super stock spring on my old 66 Valiant, and I didn't like them on the street because the car sits crooked, because one spring is built heavier than the other, but they did work good.

I would go with the standard replacement springs from jc whitney.
Cant beat them for price and performance.

Here is a pic of my 65 with them.
The back is also lowered 1" with the adjustable front spring hanger's.

www.jcwhitney.com

Picture 204.jpg

Keith which regular HD springs did you get and where did you get them from? Yep I saw the JC's and I may go with them Johnny, your Dart looks very nice! But even if I was a little higher, no more than 1" higher than you sit I'd be OK with that. Is there a way to adjust the sit?

Dave,
Everything you explained you wanted for your car is exactly what I was looking for in mine.Heavy duty springs add a extra leaf,thus raising the back end.Unless your hauling cement,I believe them to be unnecessary.

From what I have been told,all the springs are made in the same place,so it comes down to best price.JC is very hard to beat,and they will give you the stance and performance you are looking for.

You gotta trust me on this one.Ben there done that.

I got mine from Espo (www.espo.com) Reasonable price, fast service and they fit like a glove. I made the mistake of ordering the lighter set (5 leaf instead of 6) but after three years, no sag. Good luck! Mike

If you are running a rear sway bar dont go too nuts on the stiffness. Also, raising the rear is exactly what you dont want to do for handling. If it was me (and this is what I plan on putting under my 65) I'd run replacement 6-leafs, .890 T-bars, Addco sway bars front and rear, KYB shocks and 16:1 manual steering. Should be quite a bit firmer than stock without beating you to death.

c130, where would you find the 6 leafs from? I know the Mancini and JCs are 4. Yep the rest you said is the plan, keep it level and I have some nice front and rear sway bars. And I do own a set of the KYBs too. I am thinking about removing the power steering and finding a cop car box or a manual box..

Also, raising the rear is exactly what you dont want to do for handling. If it was me (and this is what I plan on putting under my 65) I'd run replacement 6-leafs.

Raising the rear is exactly what you dont want to do for handling.

So why would you want to put 6 leaf springs on your car which will raise the car 2" to 4" above stock height?

I thought you wanted to keep your car level?

You want 6 leaf springs? JC Whitney part# KM865322

Kiss your level good by.

Also:AsToolmanmike suggested ESPO is a very good company as well.

Well I guess I am a little confused Jonny, C130 said that the 6 leafs would also make it level, I know my origionals are 6 but I think all the replacements today are 4's right? So I will stay with the JCs 4 leaf. i think that is the best bet as far as I can see. And the price and shipping are good too. I just thought that if there were a 6 leaf version that is the same spung as stock I would go that route.

I have seen the other 6s and they all put the car up in the air. You are correct!

Dyno Dave,
I just ordered the 5 leafs for my 66 from JohnRSprings. They are the supplier for JC. JC only has the 4 leafs currently as far as I know. They were 60.35 each and shipped the same day I ordered them. Alot of FABO members have them as they are the same as the JCW springs. Made in Michigan, USA. I plan on racing my car on rare occasion and I too will have 225s in the rear with sway bars front and back and new front end. I have a convertible and it would look like **** with a big rake. Leave that to the racers. I may end up rotating my hangers if I don't like the rake. Goodluck.

Another option is www.espo.com. They pretty much make them 2-order, so you can tell them the stiffness and the hight you want - I know lots of people that have used them.

Dave,
So you know if you switch sides with your spring hangers to lower the back you will need to do some drilling.

Or,you can buy a set of adjustable hangers from Mancini.They have two holes,one hole for stock height or the other hole for 1" lower.No drilling necessary.I have a set on my car.I used the 1" lower hole.

More leafs doesnt all ways mean more rake. More leafs will make the ride stiffer. More arch will raise the rear more.

Flipping the front hangar is good for about 2" lowering. SS springs look stock to the untrained eye on my Duster.

Weren't the 70 340-car springs a 6 leaf pack? (I have an old set under my 72 parts car, but havent looked at it for a while) If they were only 5, then disregard the 6-leaf bit. As others have said, shop for the wheel rate you want first. For a given rate, more leaves will make the spring ride nicer, but cost more to manufacture. Beyond that, any local spring shop can "adjust" the arch to provide the static camber you desire, and you can manipulate the front mount beyond that. Mopar originally designed the rear leaf to be nearly flat, minimizing adverse bump steer.

I had planned to order reproductions of the factory HD springs from ESPO. I had always figured I would lower the front slightly if need be to provide a slight (1-2 degree) rake, as long as I can keep the tie rods basically level, again to minimize bumpsteer. Final ride height is going to be wherever it works best, but probably about 1-2" lower than factory.

Sounds like we are after a similar package, so let us know what you do, and how it turns out.

Eaton Detroit Spring. I want some de-arched springs for my 64 dart convertible. Detroit has some 1 or 2 inch de-arched springs, but they are more then JCWs. Any one going for that lowered look? Dont convertibles have an extra leaf?

Dodgenut64 said:
Eaton Detroit Spring. I want some de-arched springs for my 64 dart convertible. Detroit has some 1 or 2 inch de-arched springs, but they are more then JCWs. Any one going for that lowered look? Dont convertibles have an extra leaf?
my convertible came with 5 leafs.

Keith Mopar, you said the SS springs make the car sit crooked. Unless your car is twisted, all you have to do is adjust the torsion bars. If the right rear is too high, raise the front left or lower the front right.

On the cars I have now, the '64 GT 273 Dart has 5 leafs, the '69 340 Swinger has 6 leafs, and the '69 /6 Dart has 4 and 1/2 leafs.

When installed, you want the leafs to be flat or very slightly arched for proper handling.

-
Back