Leaf spring front eye placement

-

BBBCUDA

Reaction score
I am thrashing to get my '67 Barracuda to the track before the end of the season. When I tubbed the car years ago, I was advised to get the front of the leaf spring as LOW as possible, which I did. I definately recall reading later that getting it as HIGH as possible was best for traction.... I can easily change it, but I would like to get it right this time. Thanks.

Actually... Neither. Usually it should be placed 10-15" off the ground. Higher will give you more anti-squat, lower less. And the spring eye height should be mostly level. If you make both the front and the rear adjustable you can use the front height to get it into the general area then the back height to fine tune it and the ride height. Just remember that too much anti-squat will REDUCE traction and actually cause the rear tires to unload and the car to hop during acceleration.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... I better do some more searching before the weekend I guess. Thanks.

Take along the tools to see which is best at the track. Stay late for round robins and work it.

Do like rumblefish suggested. Even 4 holes on one inch vertical spacing will sow you VERY quickly which direction you will want to be going. I looked around for a diagram. But I hadn't found anything online. Just in my books.

Side note :The set-up is different for a street car vs a race car and drag-race vs circle track.

The adjustable thing was my origional intent, and I left about 5" of adjustment room. I had hoped to hear "higher is better for traction", as I was just going to weld the hanger in the uppermost position, which would also lower my ride height, which it really needs. Maybe I better spend the time to drill the holes so I can move them. Thanks.

-
Back