leaf spring help

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I have a 69 Valiant project and I'm beside myself on figuring out the rear leaf springs. I now have Mopar XHD springs and it sets WAY to high I need to come down about 2" I know all about the ESPO drop springs and front spring hanger but I do not have a reference point to start from I'm thinking of buying both the 1" drop and front hangers being a combined 2" drop but from where doing it this way if it's to much I can change the front hanger but if after doing that it's still to low with just the 1" drop spring I'm screwed AGAIN My question is what are you using for a slight lowered stance in the rear NO lowering blocks I have 250 pounds of added weight in the trunk on this picture so it sets a little higher than shown tires are 235/65/16 rear and 205/60/16 front

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0474.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 357
I stuck a 1" block in mine, I figured after a few miles the springs would sag some and I will take the block out.

I think you can flip the front hangers and gain about 1"

If you drive the car regularly, I'd do nothing for a few months and let the springs settle out before making the next step...

If you drive the car regularly, I'd do nothing for a few months and let the springs settle out before making the next step...

Yes I've considered that but these things are so damn light and with the XHD springs I have my wonders if it would settle any and I have another Mopar for regular driving so this one is for the fun factor only

I stuck a 1" block in mine, I figured after a few miles the springs would sag some and I will take the block out.

I think you can flip the front hangers and gain about 1"

Yes I have considered that option also but these things are so light I have my wonders if the springs would settle any

Those mopar XHD springs will drop in no time at all.With some driving.

Those mopar XHD springs will drop in no time at all.With some driving.

I too ran the XHD springs on my 67 notch and, while I like the "raked" look they were too damn high.
I put them in summer last year, hoping to lose at least an inch myself, otherwise I'm looking at adding the 1" block to drop as well.
Finally starting to thaw here and hope for some drive time.

I've got a set of Afco springs in my Duster. They're 20231M's, 122 lb/in springs. They sit with almost zero arch on my Duster, and have settled very little. I would think that they would put you pretty close to where you want to be. They also have a reinforced front section, so they reduce spring wrap and wheel hop like the SS springs, but without the impossible ride height and different springs left to right.

As far as the lowering blocks, I would try to avoid anything as big as 1". While I know that they're frequently used and in many situations larger than that (like lift blocks on trucks with the axles under the springs), any time you move the axle further away from the springs you add a "lever arm" that magnifies the side to side motion of the axle and springs. Probably not an issue on the street, but if handling is the goal they should be avoided if possible, or at least kept to a minimum.

Here's how mine sits with the Afco 20231M's. I have MP offset springs and shackles, so no lowering was done with the hangers/shackles. Rear tires are 26.1" tall (295/35/18 )

IMG_2055_zps5frhndco.jpg

I've got a set of Afco springs in my Duster. They're 20231M's, 122 lb/in springs. They sit with almost zero arch on my Duster, and have settled very little. I would think that they would put you pretty close to where you want to be. They also have a reinforced front section, so they reduce spring wrap and wheel hop like the SS springs, but without the impossible ride height and different springs left to right.

As far as the lowering blocks, I would try to avoid anything as big as 1". While I know that they're frequently used and in many situations larger than that (like lift blocks on trucks with the axles under the springs), any time you move the axle further away from the springs you add a "lever arm" that magnifies the side to side motion of the axle and springs. Probably not an issue on the street, but if handling is the goal they should be avoided if possible, or at least kept to a minimum.

Here's how mine sits with the Afco 20231M's. I have MP offset springs and shackles, so no lowering was done with the hangers/shackles. Rear tires are 26.1" tall (295/35/18 )

IMG_2055_zps5frhndco.jpg

Interesting and that's the kind of information I was hoping for and yes blocks are out of the question

I originally wanted to go with Hotchkis leafs. But after seeing everyone have issues with being too low using them I decided to look for other options. The 121 lb Afco's have a little less rate than the 130 lb Hotchkis springs, but I was planning on running a pretty big rear sway anyway so I went with the Afco's. Guys were having to unhook their rear sways using the 130 lb springs on tighter tracks anyway. Hard to beat for the price too, especially for performance handling springs. They're very similar to the old Mopar oval track springs (and I believe that's their intended use).

The only thing with the Afco's is they have a larger rear eye, but that can be solved with a set of Energy suspension 2-2117G bushings.

I originally wanted to go with Hotchkis leafs. But after seeing everyone have issues with being too low using them I decided to look for other options. The 121 lb Afco's have a little less rate than the 130 lb Hotchkis springs, but I was planning on running a pretty big rear sway anyway so I went with the Afco's. Guys were having to unhook their rear sways using the 130 lb springs on tighter tracks anyway. Hard to beat for the price too, especially for performance handling springs. They're very similar to the old Mopar oval track springs (and I believe that's their intended use).

The only thing with the Afco's is they have a larger rear eye, but that can be solved with a set of Energy suspension 2-2117G bushings.

Thanks again I'm using the HDK tubular front suspension and want this car to be the best it can in straight line and handling

I have a 69 Valiant project and I'm beside myself on figuring out the rear leaf springs.

I wouldn't get worked up about it. Flip the spring hangars first and see if that gets you half the distance your looking for. It's a simple job that wouldn't take long to do.

I ordered the afco springs thanks to 72bluNblu recommendation and I haven't driven the dart yet but they are nice and like the way car sits. Dustin

It would help if I had the same tires front and rear but that's not happening so I'll figure it out

Attachments

• DSCF0476.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCF0477.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 259
You think it sits high? I think it looks great.

Several options as I needed new U Bolts anyway I ordered some longer ones and for a test I will make some blocks and that gives me time for more research again the blocks are FOR TESTING PURPOSE ONLY

Gonna hijack a bit, but I think it's pertinent.

I've had the XHD springs on my Duster for about 20k, but the difference in spring rate side to side is just unbearable now. Around left turns, I can't keep the inside wheel from breaking loose and right turns feel like I might capsize. You guys think I should buy another set of the XHD and see if maybe two driver's side springs would even it up, or try SS springs maybe? The car is just for fun cruising, never gonna be a track car or show car. I like the stance it has, just not the ride.

Gonna hijack a bit, but I think it's pertinent.

I've had the XHD springs on my Duster for about 20k, but the difference in spring rate side to side is just unbearable now. Around left turns, I can't keep the inside wheel from breaking loose and right turns feel like I might capsize. You guys think I should buy another set of the XHD and see if maybe two driver's side springs would even it up, or try SS springs maybe? The car is just for fun cruising, never gonna be a track car or show car. I like the stance it has, just not the ride.

XHD springs aren't different side to side. At least, they're not supposed to be. So, they aren't even sold as driver/passenger side springs.

If you car is that different in left and right hand turns, you should probably inspect everything- front and rear suspension. Something may be broken somewhere. I ran SS springs on my Challenger for awhile, which are different side to side, and the difference between right and left hand turns wasn't nearly as noticeable as what you're describing.

They should be the same, huh? Well I bought the springs many years ago (was still in high school, actually!) and when they arrived I remember noticing they were different, so put the stiffer spring passenger side. I had to monkey with the torsion bars a good bit just to get it sitting level, but I wonder now whether they sent the wrong springs and I just didn't know enough to catch it! I think I'll order another set and see how it does. Thanks, 72blunblu.

Let us know what you end up with dodge71demon!

-
Back