leaf spring torque

-

downsr

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the u bolts torque at on a 70 duster with espo heavy duty springs.

It is less than you think. I believe around 45 or 55 Ft Pds . but please check your FSM on that. They need to slide some .

Yes, much less than you think. I was quite surprised when I found out how low the spec really was. I loosened mine and re-torqued properly.

Here's from the 70 Plymouth Service Manual:

70 Duster RR Spring A012.jpg

70 Duster RR Spring A01.jpg

Stupid question, but what does it matter if the car's weight is on the spring if the whole reason to only torque them to 45lbs is to enable the spring to 'slide.'

Couldn't tell you for sure , I'm don't know that allowing the spring to slide is the reason .All I know is thats what Ma Mopar calls for .

The springs don't actually slide in the manner you think. Since there is a center pin, they cannot slide, per say.

Best way I can describe it is this. Take two yard sticks. Clamp one end tightly with vise grips. Bend the yard sticks. Then remove the vise grips and do it again. You will see the difference.

It's about letting the front and rear segments do their separate jobs. If the plates are over torqued, the suspension will bind. If they are torqued in the air, the suspension will bind.

None of this is a CIA secret. If yall would spend 10 frikkin dollars on the MP suspension manual, you would learn a lot. It's all in the book.

I still don't quite understand how the suspension will bind if the u-bolts are torqued without the spring under load. I've seen plenty of springs installed and torqued on the rearend and installed in the car as an assembly without an issue. Heck, didn't the factory do it that way?

Now, the front and rear leaf spring eyes, that's another story. Those need to be torqued at ride height.

I don't know how to explain it any better. I don't know the physics of it, so I cannot put it into better words. If you don't believe the Mopar suspension book and almost every other leaf spring article you can find, I don't really know what else to tell you.

I didn't mean that in any smartass way at all. I don't know how else to put it into words. Other than to say I have tried it several ways and the only way that allows the rear suspension to work without binding is torquing the u bolts to 45 LB FT with the weight on the tires, or jack stands under the rear axle. As long as the weight is on the springs.

I still don't quite understand how the suspension will bind if the u-bolts are torqued without the spring under load. I've seen plenty of springs installed and torqued on the rearend and installed in the car as an assembly without an issue. Heck, didn't the factory do it that way?

Now, the front and rear leaf spring eyes, that's another story. Those need to be torqued at ride height.

Factory used what is sometimes referred to as, "scored" nut on their U-bolts. 2 very small square indentions on the outside are created with so much pressure that the threads inside are distorted. These nuts are not going to loosen. In fact without heat applied you may not get them off without twisting/degrading their U-bolt. What is correct for your aftermarket parts,,, Ask that mfgr would be best.

Why the hell would I buy a book when I have FABO ? Either way READING IS FUNDAMENTAL , if you don't comprehend the english language download a dictionary .

See RRR I still don't have to buy a book LOL !

I don't know how to explain it any better. I don't know the physics of it, so I cannot put it into better words. If you don't believe the Mopar suspension book and almost every other leaf spring article you can find, I don't really know what else to tell you.

I didn't mean that in any smartass way at all. I don't know how else to put it into words. Other than to say I have tried it several ways and the only way that allows the rear suspension to work without binding is torquing the u bolts to 45 LB FT with the weight on the tires, or jack stands under the rear axle. As long as the weight is on the springs.

Well said. You can also dent/damage the axle tubes if they're too tight. I noticed less creaking and popping when I re-torqued mine.

Last edited:
New springs need to relax so to speak. Torque to spec then drive the car normally 20 miles on street. And youll be surprized how things settle/move to retighten. My 3 cents.

Where can this manual be bought? I'd like to get one

Mancini has them for 10 bucks. It is the Mopar suspension manual, ninth edition......unless there has been a tenth.

-
Back