Leaf springs - 5 leaf Q's

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
I'll be replacing the leaf springs on my Scamp shortly and have searched a lot of the posts about where and what to buy. My Scamp has the original 5 leaf springs on it but after 30+ years, the rear rides low. I want to replace them with new ones but I know that JC whitney no longer sells the 5 leaf OEM springs. John R Spring and ESPO sell XHD 5 leaves. What is the difference between the 5 leaf spring and XHD 5 leaf springs? Does JRS or Espo sell non XHD 5 leaf springs?

I suspect the XHD springs would give my car the Joe Dirt, early '80's look of being jacked on the rear which is not what I want.

JR Springs is the company that makes the springs for JCwitney and Mancini Racing. Im sure if you called they will make the springs to stock specs fi thats what you are after.

Espo offer there springs in stock, +1 and +2 " above.

I don't know the what the difference between the "plain old" 5-leaf and the XHD leaf springs may be - but I do know that if you opt to go with the HXD, be aware that a "matched" set (that is, one left and one right) will make your car sit very, very un-level.

I put a matched set on my 65 Barracuda, and the right side was about an inch and 1/4 higher than the left. Turns out, the springs are apparently designed this way for serious drag racers, who experience a whole lot of right-side downforce coming off the line.

I found a company (online) that sells the springs separately, and ordered a second right side spring (because I wanted that jacked up rear end look). I then put it on the left side of my car. But before doing so, I stood the two springs side by side, and the right side XHD spring had at least one inch more of arch than the left side spring.

Since you don't want the jacked up look, you'd be best off with two left side springs.

Which, by the way, I have the almost brand new (I put about 50 miles on it) left side spring laying in the garage. Its yours for a song (and the shipping costs)...........

Does JR springs also make the XHD springs that mopar performance sells?

P4510268 NEW! O.E. Leaf Spring — Right (1964-75 A-Body) $159.00 P4510269 NEW! O.E. Leaf Spring — Left (1964-75 A-Body) $159.00

I was also under the impression that the SS springs were the only ones that jacked the right side up higher?

I also purchased a set of XHD Mopar springs from a company on e-bay. I did not know the right was higher than the left. Luckily they refunded my purchase. They also got damaged in shipping because they did not box them up. This time I called "Just Suspension" & talked with someone in detail about their springs. I decided to go with 6 leaf with a 1" over stock. I have an 8 & 3/4 rear.They assured me they would have the same arch. I should get them any time & will let you know.
Below is a picture of the ones I returned. I would call & ask questions before I buy.
Project12.jpg

Project12.jpg

I bought the stock height 5 leaf springs for my Dart about 3 years ago from Espo. I should have gotten the 6 leafs. They do sag in time. Mike

Is anyone currently running the XHD's that can confirm they too jack up the right side more than the left?

I've got the mopar xhd's on my '70 duster the car sits nice and level,these are the older version however...as far as the springs Espo sells,on my previous duster i installed their 5-leafs,non-xhd's and the car also sat very nicely...

I bought a pair of 5 leafs off ebay, but i don't remember the seller. Picked up the rear of my 69 dart very nice, they have settled a little but still have a nice stance to them. That was 8 months ago . I paid ab out 150.00 for them.

I have the Mancini XHD 5-leaf springs. They replaced tired 6-leaf units. The overall thickness of the spring pack is the same so the overall spring rate is about the same.

Anyway, there is no right or left, the car sits level and about 1-2" higher than level. I am very happy with the stance.

Does anyone know the difference between the XHD springs that Mancini sells vs the ones Mopar performance sells or the ones JC Whitney sells?

I suspect the XHD springs would give my car the Joe Dirt, early '80's look of being jacked on the rear which is not what I want.

You would have to have a foot print gas pedal installed also... sorry, couldn't resist :)

Here is a shot of my 69 swinger 340 with JR Springs HD5 leaf set. Car sits level and at a good height. Wheels on back are 14" with 235/60's on them. They said these springs are the equivalent to the stock 5.5/6 leaf stock springs. Car sits a little high right now but trunk is not on or any other interior.

0512071932.jpg

0512071931a.jpg

I suppose if you're not running the car at the dragstrip that uneven rear ride height might not be too appealing. But it's only around 1-2 inches difference, so I don't find it that noticeable, and it does make for a very real improvement in launch bite.

I suppose if you're not running the car at the dragstrip that uneven rear ride height might not be too appealing. But it's only around 1-2 inches difference, so I don't find it that noticeable, and it does make for a very real improvement in launch bite.

Ace are you referring to the XHD or the SS springs?

SS are the only ones I am aware of that has the stiffer pass side w/xtra leaf that rides a little higher. That's what's on my Duster.

That car sits to high in my opinion.

heres mine with the original springs. They need to be replaced because they are flat. I just hope I can get new ones that dont raise it more then 1"

IM000235.jpg

IM000235.jpg

IM000235.jpg

AdamR when you do let post a pic of what you get. I still need a set of rear springs for the '71, but as yet don't have the funds to purchase them. I'm with you though. My car sits about where yours looks to be. I need to replace the springs, but don't want the car raised up a bunch. Would still like the fender lip to cover the tyre a bit.

Exactly, I wont the tire to looked tucked in. Right now The quarter is even with the rim. I want maybe 1 or 2" of sidewall showing at the most.

-
Back