Leafs Springs and Ride Height

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse and someone posted this already!

Anyways, 2,800 lb leaf springs vs. 3,200 lb leafs...is 3,200 lb going to jack up the rear of my car significantly more then the 2,800 lb? Do I not know what I'm talking about at all? Someone school me! The leafs on my car now resemble a squiggly line and I have airshocks to help the load...btw...I'm looking at the leafs on Summit...http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/DODGE/Model/DART/Year/1970/?keyword=leaf+springs

Thanks!!!
Craig

Thanks FormulaS! I was worried that the low ride height would be compensated, I totally forgot to look at what Mancini had!

ugh..a considerable amount? I'm trying to keep the rear level with the front...

ckj688 ugh..a considerable amount? I'm trying to keep the rear level with the front... ]
Yup I never measured the ride height prior as the leafs were worn out and the rear sagged so it was lower than the front .But yeah it's quite a bit above stock ride height.I'm thinking of flipping the front hangers to lower it a bit .But I know I'll then have to shim the axle to correct the pinion angle.I really like the looks of your car by the way.I'm going with the semi-flat black on My Dart.

Thanks, unfortunately that color is just to hold me off till paint, I'm dying to paint it sassy grass...semi black looks cool but I think it looks unfinished

ckj688 ugh..a considerable amount? I'm trying to keep the rear level with the front... ]
Yup I never measured the ride height prior as the leafs were worn out and the rear sagged so it was lower than the front .But yeah it's quite a bit above stock ride height.I'm thinking of flipping the front hangers to lower it a bit .But I know I'll then have to shim the axle to correct the pinion angle.I really like the looks of your car by the way.I'm going with the semi-flat black on My Dart.

That's basically what I'm doing too ,Gonna be a while before I can afford a Real paint job .

Before buying new springs, check around for a local spring shop. Usually they can add a leaf, re-arch or even de-arch ( had mine dropped 2 " ) for less money than new springs.

Keep in mind, the more you raise it, the more effect it will have on handling and driving. I went +1" over stock for tire clearance which raised the rear a good bit and it made the car more twitchy on the highway and less accurate on curves. Aligning the front end with more caster helped some. Also you will want to re-aim your headlights 8)

Before buying new springs, check around for a local spring shop. Usually they can add a leaf, re-arch or even de-arch ( had mine dropped 2 " ) for less money than new springs.

I have de arched super stock springs on mine sits 1.5" lower than stock

Now when they "de-arch" do they just stress the springs so that they have less of an arch and add more leafs so the stiffness isn't compromised?

When leaf springs are "de-arched" the spring pack is taken apart and each spring is put in a press and bent alittle to take out some of the arch. The stiffness comes from the thickness of the inividual leafs, length of each leaf and number of leaves.

I don't know how you could de-arch an SS spring to the point that it is 1.5" lower than stock and still have rear shackle movement (I would think the shackle would be all the way back against the body.

Springs get longer as you take the arch out.

Another option would be the 1" or 0" arch circle track springs from mopar performance..
right stance.. Right rate..

-
Back