Leaking 904

-

YoungGun74

Reaction score
My 904 trans in my 74 Dart Sport is leaking, not heavily but enough that i can see if every morning under my car. I am pulling the motor out of my car soon should i just reseal the trans or get a full rebuild?

Try cleaning trans while still in car, and figure out where it is leaking. Most leaks can be fixed with transmission in car, (borderline PIA), or if it is front pump seal (trans has to come out for that to happen), just hold off until unit is out of the car and replace all the seals at once as it is much easier on the bench than under car to do this.

Dose the transmission currently operate correctly? If so probably the only thing I would do is change filter, inspect & adjust bands, install new base gasket, refill with fresh fluid, and call it good.

How many miles on it? Has it ever been rebuilt or is it original from 1974? If it's original from 74 that means it's almost 40 yrs. old. Even if it works good I'd at least do a basic rebuild. I can guarantee you all the seals are hard as a rock.

How many miles on it? Has it ever been rebuilt or is it original from 1974? If it's original from 74 that means it's almost 40 yrs. old. Even if it works good I'd at least do a basic rebuild. I can guarantee you all the seals are hard as a rock.

X2 There's no guessing what blend of fluids is in there today either.
A basic service will only add to that cocktail.

Its original from 74 with about 87,000 miles on it. It all works good but im probably going to look into getting it rebuilt soon. Moneys tight (as is for everyone) so i might just throw new seals on it and try and get some more time out of it

-
Back