Leaking A833

-

ozmoparjoe

Reaction score
Hi all, i have an a body a833 that is leaking oil at the front (between bellhousing and gearbox) so i need to put a gasket/seal kit through it and would like to have a go at it myself so i was wondering if there's any step by step instructions anywhere online or video's just to do the gasket kit not a full rebuild.
Any info greatly appreciated thanks.

there isn't a seal between the bell housing and gear box are you sure it isn't the engine rear main that is leaking and just exiting there? or the front trans input shaft bearing, that's not hard, just remove the trans and four bolts holding the carrier on then change the seal

there isn't a seal between the bell housing and gear box are you sure it isn't the engine rear main that is leaking and just exiting there? or the front trans input shaft bearing, that's not hard, just remove the trans and four bolts holding the carrier on then change the seal
Hi, no its not the rear main, its definitely gearbox oil, i know there's no seal between bellhousing and gearbox but pretty sure its the front bearing seal.
Is it just a case of removing the 4 bolts for the carrier and replacing the seal?

Hi, no its not the rear main, its definitely gearbox oil, i know there's no seal between bellhousing and gearbox but pretty sure its the front bearing seal.
Is it just a case of removing the 4 bolts for the carrier and replacing the seal?

Yep, easy as can be.
Just take a look at the pilot and the front bearing of the trans to make sure something there isn't causing the leak.

While you have it apart, make sure you replace the seal in the bearing retainer. It's likely NOT The gasket leaking, more likely the seal.

Thanks everyone, i have had a search in my part of the world (Australia) but had no luck locating a gasket kit, so i will order one from Brewers.

Hey everyone, i pulled the gearbox tonight and i believe the leak is coming from this what appears to be a plug of some sort, can someone tell me what it is?
It had what looked like sealer smeared over it but was hard.
Any suggestions on how to seal it up?

20170203_185741.jpg

20170203_195402.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that is a common source for leaks. the cure is a new expansion plug. This one can be reused if it falls out, but that rarely happens; you usually have to dig them out by drilling a small hole and pulling it out with a screw. It's just a common expansion plug.
But since you are half-way round the world,if you can't find one locally, that's just what I'd do.
Drain the oil,dig it out, tip the tranny over backwards and clean the area up;OIL-FREE.
Take the expansion plug and restore it to its proper saucer shape.Fill the hole in the plug, either brazing it up, or soldering it. Grind the mess off, especially the backside. Reinstall it with some locally available sealer preferably not RTV. RTV is OK if the area is exceptionally clean. Oil will be in the space around the cluster pin, and is all too eager to travel uphill by capillary action or creep. It is very difficult to make oil-free, and keep it oil-free,long enough to install the plug with RTV. So, I prefer an anaerobic permatex, or a shellac-type product . To install the plug, you just lay it in the shouldered hole, and smack it with the ball end of a ball-peen hammer, or a large flat punch at least 30% to 50% the diameter of the hole,like a 1/2 inch bolt.The flat end of the hammer will not sink the center deep enough. The center should be slightly depressed when you are finished.When the saucer goes like that it will be expanded into place, and the loc-tite will both keep it there and seal it. Give the plug a couple of bops.The area behind that plug will eventually fill with oil.
Let the sealer set,
refill, and install. Good luck.
FWIW
When I used to rebuild those, and all the parts were fresh out of the parts washer, and superclean, I installed new expansion plugs dry. I never had any comebacks in over 5 years.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that is a common source for leaks. the cure is a new plug. This one can be reused if it falls out, but that rarely happens; you usually have to dig them out by drilling a small hole and pulling it out with a screw. It's just a common expansion plug.
But since you are half-way round the world
oh crap! i wish i had of known that before i ordered gaskets and seals from Brewers!
Does this lovely thing have a name?

You responded before I finished typing! Why are you up in the middle of the night,lol?
Hey how can it be the same time there as here? I looked on a globe and Melbourne Australia should be at least 17 hours later, than here.......

You are a victim of premature parts ordering.heehee
If the seal hadda been leaking, it would have run all over inside the clutch, and the clutch wouldda flung it everywhere into the bell and cover. What a horrible black mess that makes. And of course oil on the disc is an excellent lubricant. That seal almost never leaks;it is above the liquid line, but gets enough lube that the seal wears very very slowly.

Last edited:
You responded before I finished typing! Why are you up in the middle of the night,lol?
Hey how can it be the same time there as here? I looked on a globe and Melbourne Australia should be at least 17 hours later, than here.......

You are a victim of premature parts ordering.heehee
If the seal hadda been leaking, it would have run all over inside the clutch, and the clutch wouldda flung it everywhere into the bell and cover. What a horrible black mess that makes. And of course oil on the disc is an excellent lubricant. That seal almost never leaks;it is above the liquid line, but gets enough lube that the seal wears very very slowly.
Hey Aj its 9 am here now what's the time there haha, i actually havent had the car running yet but yeah i ordered the oarts before removing the trans. No problem i have already ordered a couple of plugs and should be on the way soon.
A friend told me just to clean the old plug with solvent where it sits and just run some sealer over it, do you think that would be ok?

A shaft sits in that hole, there isn't a plug. Clean it as best you can and use some rtv or something along those lines and your set.

post #11 clearly shows a plug. I'm assuming this is an overdrive trans?
No solvent washing will not work. That's probably what the last guy thought, and it didn't work for him did it? No solvent has it's own oils in it. And like I said, the oil inside the box will want to creep up no matter what. The best and only solution, in my mind, is as earlier described. I hate doing things over and over with the same result, and that tranny is too heavy at my age,lol

post #11 clearly shows a plug. I'm assuming this is an overdrive trans?
No solvent washing will not work. That's probably what the last guy thought, and it didn't work for him did it? No solvent has it's own oils in it. And like I said, the oil inside the box will want to creep up no matter what. The best and only solution, in my mind, is as earlier described. I hate doing things over and over with the same result, and that tranny is too heavy at my age,lol
So how is it removed and replaced?

There was nothing there from the factory, check your FSM. Acetone will clean the residues off and a good quality rtv will seal it.

Yup, I've never seen a plug on the countershaft hole. The shaft is basically a press fit and shouldn't leak oil.

The factory should have made the end of the counter shaft stepped for a "o" ring and it would never have leaked.

-
Back