Leaking aluminum Mopar valve covers!!!

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Well I got the Cuda fired up thursday and my new purty Mopar aluminum valve covers are leaking. I used good Fel-pro gaskets on them and they set flat (after I used a die grinder to notch out a couple of places to clear the intake). Anybody else had any problems with them? I hate to silicone them. I wonder if cork gaskets might stick better? I tried torqueing them down after it cooled down and their tight enough but their leaking terrible at the back corners and a little at the front corners.

Mine leak, it may be do to user error. I've 'reused' the 'reuseable' gaskets quite a few times...But mine definately leak :silent:

Don't over torque them by much. I cracked the outside mounting tab on one of mine. They always leaked. Even with their race gasgets.

Mine don't leak, but I don't have a solid cam, where I have to take the covers off all the time. Broke the engine in with the steel covers, and then on my third try I cleaned both surfaces with brake clean then used right stuff silicon on both sides of the gaskets, and now those suckers are leak free.

lenweiler said:
Don't over torque them by much. I cracked the outside mounting tab on one of mine. They always leaked. Even with their race gasgets.

Yeah I'm all too familiar with how easy it is to crack these suckers. I had a set of Holley M/T's on a Chebby that were over torqued and cracked so I'm watching them close.

Keith Mopar said:
Mine don't leak, but I don't have a solid cam, where I have to take the covers off all the time. Broke the engine in with the steel covers, and then on my third try I cleaned both surfaces with brake clean then used right stuff silicon on both sides of the gaskets, and now those suckers are leak free.
I guess I might have to do the same thing. I REEEAAALLY didn't want to silicone them because in a year or so when I get money ahead I want to put roller rocker arms on it and I know it will be murder getting that silicone back off but I can't drive it leaking like it is.

Thanks to all that replied.

Fishy

The guy that gave me my mopar aluminum covers also gave me a set of laminated valve cover gaskets. These have a thin steel core with rubber bonded to each side. I have had the covers on an off several times and not a drop has leaked past them.

I like the old school cork. I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue them to the covers, then install the covers. torque very carefully and evenly, they are cheap and thin and can crack easy. I always go center bolt ont eh bottom, then both lower corner bolts, then the 2 on the top flange. I havent had leaks in a while, even when resetting the valves, installing inner springs, etc and reusing them a bit.

Moper I have heard many guys down cork gaskets but I always liked the old school cork too. Seems like I've had the best luck with them when installed properly but the laminated ones DGC mentioned sounds interesting. I might try them if I can find some.

DGC333 do you have any idea where to get the laminated ones you mentioned? I have heard of them but NAPA don't have them listed and I know it would be a waste of breath to ask at Autozone or O'Reiley's because I doubt their guys have never heard of them. Also are they any thicker than regular gaskets? If so that would be good. My covers are a fraction of an inch from hitting the intake when torqued down now.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I too use the rubber coated reinforced type and so far no oil leaks. They are available from Mopar. I silicone them in a few places near the bolt locations so the gasket stays with the valve cover during R&R. Have had them off many times. Don't over tighten them. 1/4" screwhandle and 7/16" socket.
I looked for the part number on the mopar web site and didn't find it - maybe someone else can give it to you. :salut:

fishy68 said:
DGC333 do you have any idea where to get the laminated ones you mentioned? I have heard of them but NAPA don't have them listed and I know it would be a waste of breath to ask at Autozone or O'Reiley's because I doubt their guys have never heard of them. Also are they any thicker than regular gaskets? If so that would be good. My covers are a fraction of an inch from hitting the intake when torqued down now.
QUOTE]

Mopar Performance p/n P5249581 for LA heads . $20.95 from Mancini.

I always had to notch and bevel the cast aluminum valve covers around the intake ports. You have to look closely to make sure there still isn't a spot that hits metal-to-metal. I've also glued/stacked very firm cork/rubber gaskets from ROL (VS5876HP) to raise them. This was with longer studs and the T-handle hold-downs. It helps to locate them too!

Locomotion said:
I always had to notch and bevel the cast aluminum valve covers around the intake ports. You have to look closely to make sure there still isn't a spot that hits metal-to-metal. I've also glued/stacked very firm cork/rubber gaskets from ROL (VS5876HP) to raise them. This was with longer studs and the T-handle hold-downs. It helps to locate them too!
Yeah I had to notch and bevel them too. Their not hitting but their still leaking. Thanks.

dgc333 said:
fishy68 said:
QUOTE]

Mopar Performance p/n P5249581 for LA heads . $20.95 from Mancini.
Thanks Dave. I ordered a set today. Appreciate all the help guys.

I have the same problem with my Mopar valve covers. I had to notch them to fit around the intake and I have tried 3 different kinds of gaskets some cheap rubber ones, cork which were fully saturated with oil, and now the Mopar ones. The mopar gaskets work the best so far but they still leak on the backside. I never take the valve covers off except to change the gaskets. It sucks having smoke roll out from under the car when I start it up.

Yea I got a secret formula, Felpro gaskets with a slim coating of the high temp. orange silicone (if it squeezes out the side you put on to much) on both sides equals no leaks. Clean all surfaces with brake cleaner, torque evenly and let set for 24 hrs. before running engine. :burnout:

i have the same valve covers and felpro gaskets and not one leak after i ground the notches for the intake no complaints

I have the same valve covers, using Fel-pro re-useable rubber gaskets.. after installing my new engine I noticed a major leak on the rear of the passenger side cover. After reading the thread on PCV use, I drilled out my cover and added a PCV connection on the passenger side, and a twist on breather on the drivers side.

After starting the engine the leak seems to have gone away. All I can figure is that being a tight new engine it was building up a bunch of crankcase pressure and it was forceing it out at the valve cover. The PCV and breather should eliminate this excess pressure..

-
Back