leaking Carb

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I have a carb based fuel, leak from the throttle plunger thingy (Good Technical Wordage Eh) does a rebuild kit have the proper stuff to fix this? I have never worked on a carb before, other than messing with the idle, and A/F mixture. I do have mechanical experience I have replace most everything on a car at some point, other than tranny parts and bearings. I have a good collection of tools. Is this something I should leave to a pro or something I can take on myself. It is a monster carb :---) (Carter 1BBL)

Robb

Is it leaking from the throttle have that works the butterflies? If so, no a rebuild kit wont fix that, the shaft needs to be 'rebushed'

Robb are referring to the accelerator pump. When you open the throttle that's the thingey (sorry couldn't help myself) that squirts fuel into the venturis. :evil2:

there is a Plunger on the front of the carb basically in between the fuel line and the "spout where the fuel goes into the bowl. fuel is leaking there at the plunger.

Sound line the rebushing may be required. Is this expensive?

Robb

Hey Robb, I've having trouble pictureing what you're referring to, it sounds like the accelerator pump. Can you take a digital and use a pencil or pen to point at the leak and post it.

OK according to the diagram I am looking at the leak is comming from the "Bowl Vent Valve" Is this something I can easily fix, or should I just look for another carb ( perhaps looking for an excuse to buy an Offy intake and small 4bbl).

Seriously though, I hope this leak is connected to my stalling/hesitation when starting from a stop.

If you've got gas coming out the vent valve, from what I remember is a little arm with a rubber disc on the end that comes down over the bowl vent when you open the throttle, then your fuel level in the bowl is to high. This would also make you run really rich.

Would this also explain why I often stall when hitting the gas while turning a corner?

How would I adjust this?

That would explain things. Get all the specs off the carb and post them. Someone may be able to point you to a page with pics. I vaguely remember the carb cus I think I had one on a stock 360 many moons ago. You should also be able to buy a new carb kit for it.

Opps, yea you're right. Tell you what, do what I did when I was a young laddy, take it apart and see how it works. Take the top off the carb, carefully so the gasket doesn't get damaged, and the float may or may not come up with the top. check that there is nothing under the seat causing the level to be high and just figure the carb out. The float operates a valve that when the float comes up it shuts the valve and therefore the gas. The float may have a bendable tab on it that can be bent "slightly" to shut off the fuel earlier. Problem is I never had a 1 barrel apart so i'm not entirely sure what it looks like but hey you got to learn sometime. A digital would help.

Fire this thread to OldVart, he might be able to help also

-
Back