Leaking frost plugs

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Picked up 65 Dart with 318 that had been parked for about a year. Runs good and is now parked for winter, a couple of frost plugs are leaking a little wondering is there is a additive I can add next spring like bars leak or something stronger that would do the trick. Don't really feel like pulling motor (not yet) It's not real bad but annoying at this point. Thanks for any input!

Products that plug up leaky frost plugs, can also plugs up heater cores and such,, often causing more probs than solving..

Most frost plugs can be changed in the vehicle, with a couple of exceptions..

hope it helps

Guess ill join the club as my 66 is leaking between the motor and trans and is coming out this winter, which by the way arrived in Michigan yesterday!! Does that mean its time to start?? Good luck with your project!! Geof

Thanks for support! plugs are in middle of block which makes me wonder if I could knock or drill them out and replace with motor in car. Inertia response makes me think it's possible, I'm upgrading front end so maybe I'll have room. aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

I replaced all in the car except the rears in the block and head. Replace them with brass core plugs.

Thanks for support! plugs are in middle of block which makes me wonder if I could knock or drill them out and replace with motor in car. Inertia response makes me think it's possible, I'm upgrading front end so maybe I'll have room. aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

You should be able to do the ones on the sides, - a little patience, a selection of 1/2" extensions..

I've lost count of the number I've done in car,, all brands..

Once you pull them you will probably find a big wad of crud packed up behind each one. This is why they rust <LOL> -- free-flowing coolant wouldn't be a problem. So using Bars-Leak would only make it worse in the long run.

I will be danged if I would go to all the trouble to replace all I could get to and not pull the engine and do them all. Sure as the world, they are all in about the same shape. These old cars ain't bad to work on either. You could do it in a weekend.

Tap them out with a screwdriver on the flange of the soft plug.
Grab them with vice grips pull them out.
Any garbage behind the plugs, shop vac, scrape clean it.
Napa sell a whole kit of brass soft plugs for like $20 bucks.
Install with the flange edge to block coated with permatex.
Let the permatex cure for 24 hrs before adding coolant.

If you can't get into a tight spot to tap in a new steel or brass freeze plug you can always install some of those rubber freeze plugs. I've installed a few over the years and none of them have gone bad or fallen out, but I would consider it a temporary solution. You can pick them up at just about any autoparts store and all you need to install them is a wrench, hence why they're good in tight spots.

If you can't get into a tight spot to tap in a new steel or brass freeze plug you can always install some of those rubber freeze plugs. I've installed a few over the years and none of them have gone bad or fallen out, but I would consider it a temporary solution. You can pick them up at just about any autoparts store and all you need to install them is a wrench, hence why they're good in tight spots.

Rubber ones will work, there are some in dads old truck that have been there for 15 years........dont know how long new china crap rubber will last.

-
Back