Leaking gas tank filler tubes ?

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
I have not got my car running yet so I dont know if my car does this.

But I was looking at a parts vendors web site (located in washington state wink wink nudge nudge) and they talk about some modification to the 63-66 A body gas filler tube that solves a gas leakage problem. Apparently the older A bodies would slosh gas out the side of the filler with the cap on, full of gas and making a fast right turn. Anybody out there seen this issue ?

This parts vendor is offering to make this change for a fee which seems pretty high. I have to imagine this cant be all that difficult to do by yourself. Any idea what might need to be done to make this change at home ?

I dont recall my 73 ever having this problem, but since its together I dont want to take it apart. I would guess you'd need to compare an early filler tube with a later model filler. Any chance someone can do this ?

Kind of makes sense that it could happen, but your gas cap gasket is supposed to prevent this I would think. What is the mod, a baffle of some sort?

GTGrinly said:
Kind of makes sense that it could happen, but your gas cap gasket is supposed to prevent this I would think. What is the mod, a baffle of some sort?

I believe it is.

Even with a good gasket, the gas comes out,
onto the paint. :(

I bet even a gas theft spring would help,
but I haven't seen one of those in 25 years.

i dont think a spring will do crap i also dont think that car is going to turn on a dime cause lets face it mopars arent exactly handleing machines so run it if it comes out just get your tank filled with that foam stuff like in fuel cells

I live in Washington (not bragging) which site or company is it? I am interested in seeing what this is all about.

If you've ever driven a water truck like I have, you will know it doesn't take much momentum to get liquid to slosh out.

Chuck

Its Laysons.

I am guessing it has to be some sort of baffle that was used in the later A bodies. It could be as simple as a flat plate strategically placed in the tank end of the thing, not sure, thus my question. Ive never had a problem with my 73 sport doing this, so I gather it was fixed somehow by ma-mopar.

I figure if I can - I will make the mod myself and save some $ for something that's probably pretty simple to do.

Anybody got a late A and an early A filler tube laying around to compare them ?

1qwikScamp said:
i dont think a spring will do crap i also dont think that car is going to turn on a dime cause lets face it mopars arent exactly handleing machines so run it if it comes out just get your tank filled with that foam stuff like in fuel cells

Nobody said the car needs to turn on a dime,
to have gas splash out, of the gas cap on a Early Abody. ;)

Your name is Scamp, so if your car, is a Scamp,
its much too new, it does not have the problem.{Mopar fixed it by 1967}

30 years ago, I had the same problem, on my 1964, and 1965 Valiants.

I believe the solution is to put an angled piece of metal in the filler tube,
which acts as a baffle.

Here is a photo of my cars, and my Dads truck, fall 1976.
How long ago did you buy Your first Mopar?
I bought mine in August 1975.

IMAGE1Medium.JPG

the baffle plate in teh filler tube would have to be the fix.. i wish i had kep my 67.. then i would know what happened in a year of changes.

but im sure you could make some kind of sliding plug or cone that acts like a ping pong ball would in a tank

put i guess some engineering would have to go into it

im sure i could come up with something

I went over to my storage and compared the 64 tube to the 67 tube I have. I can't see a difference in the ID between the two. A baffel would work. My thought would be to use some foam, the same as used in aftermarket fuel cells at the end of the tube. The foam in the cells are used for preventing slosh. Why not use it for the same thing in your tube?.

1qwikScamp said:
cause lets face it mopars arent exactly handleing machines

You need to know your automotive history a little better. Mopars WERE the best handling cars of the muscle car era. All the way from the "lowly" a-body to the c-body. There's a reason most police agencies used Mopar police cars.

Now, onto the question at hand. Is the fuel leak at the filler neck/gas tank junction or at the gas cap? I've never had a problem at the tank, except the one Fury tank that was damaged in an accident. They all have potential problems during a fillup.

Thanks for the replies -

Jim, the problem is not at the neck to tank joint. It's supposed to be at the cap/filler tube. I'm not even sure I have this issue, since my car isnt running yet. But caveman's post above indicates it does exist. I figured I'd start asking about this to see what may be up with it, and fix it, before putting my car together.

Dart4forte - did you happen to look inside the tubes to see if there's any differences ? I am certain this has to be a baffle of some sort.

If I were to put a piece of foam in the bottom end of the tube - what kind of foam would one use ? Is this something you can buy from the speed parts houses ? I know that fuel cells use a reticulated (large cell) foam inside them, but where does one get the stuff ?

Cerwin - neat idea with the ping pong ball or "check valve". I wouldn't be opposed to doing this, but if it can be done by mocking what the factory did in the later cars...why not do that instead, whatever the factory did would have to be simpler to install I have to imagine.

Again, I appreciate the responses - keep em coming.

Kind regards -

would you really want a piece of peices of foam floating around in your tank?

gas will dissolve the stuff. if not instaniously over time is surely a reaction.

i say since the filler neck is removably.. unscrew it and remove it.
figure somthing out. and put 'er back

i have never had this problem btw, and i ALWAYS fill'er up
with my 67 or my 66..
and i hope to not have this issue with my 65

what if you change the filler tube with a later model.. would they be the same length i wonder?

someone will know..

:coffee2:
Cerwin.

So if foam disolves then why do they use it in fuell cells to eliminate slosh. I'll take a look at the tubes.

for the same reason pennies are made of copper and that the price of tea in china is so exspensive

:) LOL
:wav:

I believe the issue is with the filler tube. The early cars did not use a vented cap. There is a vent tube that connects to the top of the filler tube, and hangs down beside the fuel tank. When fuel sloshes around, some will spill out the vent, usually only on a full tank. I noticed that if I tried to squeeze a little more into my tank at fill up, I would end up with a little puddle under the car.
The easy fix for this would be to block off the vent tube, and use a vented cap.

I've owned two 66 a-bodies and never had a problem with fuel leaking anywhere near the tank.

Especially in California, where they have the huge gas pump vapor collectors, it is an issue during fill-ups at the pump. The gas leaks all over the damn place and sometimes it is very difficult to get the gas pump started. The filler neck and gas pump are at wierd angles and gas easily leaks out if you don't give upward lift on the pump while filling. You can't just leave the pump on while getting a slurpee :drinkers: and a snickers anymore with the new style gas pumps. I don't recall there ever being a problem with both my 66 Valiants. I've had the locking style cap and stock caps. No problems that I know of.

Although, you can see on my convertible where the previous owner didn't clean the gas off after fill-ups. Ruins the paint. But this may be the actual evidence you are searching for 66dartgt. I will post the picture when I get home.

Hmm, I have owned more than 3 Mopars in the past,
but only 3 have had the Early-abody gas spill.

I never owned a 1966 abody,
I have owned 1964's, 1965,
1967, 1969, 1970, 1971, '72, '73, '74.

I have also, owned B-bodies, and C-bodies,
as well as my ? J-body 1981 Imperial.

Oh and In the past, I have also had some W pickups, and a Dodge Van.

The Mighty Chrysler Corporation, just may have fixed the problem,
before the 1966 year car?

Or maybe, I just go around corners too fast, when I have no passengers.

2549Imperial_pics_003-med.jpg

I want to thank all that replied - Ive decided to do - nothing. From reading the posts of those with 66 model year A bodies it appears that maybe mopar fixed this problem by that year. I can always pull the tube out if I see this problem occur and mess with it.

Chuck

-
Back