Leaking oil - right before Mopars in the Park, too.

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Last year I went from an Edelbrock 800 to a Holley 750 dp. The Holley only has one vacuum fitting which I ran to the brake booster. I decide to let the pcv vent until I could T it off. I was fifteen miles down the road when it dawned on me that there would be no venting without vacuum. I pulled over but too late. The intake gasket blew out from the pressure. I bought a vent filter and it was okay and only leaking slightly, so I ran it all last year. This year it was still okay, but last weekend my daughter and I were bombing down the road really winding it up. We pulled into the drive and it started billowing smoke. I changed to the pcv system again and it didn't help. I need to do the intake gasket and adjust all the lash. Normally I would drive it to the shop, but it is supposed to rain all week and Mopars in the Park is on Sunday. Looks like either a late night or two at home, or a late night on Saturday at the shop. What a pisser. This is what I get for not taking care of it right away.

Sorry man. That bites......but you know, it's all part of what we live for!

Man that bites! Was hoping to see ya again. If it's just a intake gasket leaking. You should be able to just replace it.
Couple evenings should do it. Hope to see you there!

Sucks........Roll up your sleeves and get-er-done and we'll see you on Saturday.

Shouldn't the brake booster be hooked up to a vacuum fitting on the intake manifold itself which frees up the vacuum port on the carb for PCV ?????

Shouldn't the brake booster be hooked up to a vacuum fitting on the intake manifold itself which frees up the vacuum port on the carb for PCV ?????

Most of my stuff was done that way also Tony. I guess it may be what's available on the intake he's using.

It will be done by Sunday. I can't go to MITP on Saturday because I work, but I will be there Sunday. I run an Eddy RPM air gap intake and it doesn't have a vacuum port. The old Eddy carbs I ran had dual vacuum fittings. The Holley only had one. I never leaked at the intake until fifteen minutes after I disconnected the pcv valve. There are no other problems I can see. I have the gaskets, I have the know how. All I need now is time.

Good luck buddy! I just got my Valiant on the road yesterday and swapping in some different suspension parts, have to get it aligned today at 1:00, supposed to rain here too, not gonna be fun driving in that crap to the shop, the open hood don't let much water inside while driving but if it sits outside parked rain gets in unless its covered. Gotta get it ready for this weekend too, it still has 7 months of dust and old bugs on it LMAO :glasses7:

Keith, don't worry about the bugs and dust the drive to the shop in the rain will wash them off...:laughing:

Just a thought,

Sounds like the PCV is somehow backwards. Flowing the wrong direction. When hooked up, it would allow the crankcase to vent to the carb from engine vaccume. It was probably always building up crankpressure when on the loud pedal.

That is unless I have always had mine installed backwards! Isnt it supposed to flow in one direction, from the crankcase to the carb?

Not backwards. I disconnected the vacuum hose so it never sucked open. I put on a K&N breather to help vent, but I finally hooked up the PCV again last weekend. That will help. And I always drive it hard. It seems to leak the most when I really get on it. It won't be a problem in a couple days.

Of course it has to blow out the gaskets right before you plan to take it to the show.

This should be a "sticky" for all the guys to see who just want to run the breathers & no PCV valve.

You can run just breathers, pcv, both. If you don't have baffles, oil is coming out. A lot of oil slinging around in that valve cover. Look at that. If valve seals bad, worse problem.

You can run just breathers, pcv, both. If you don't have baffles, oil is coming out. A lot of oil slinging around in that valve cover. Look at that. If valve seals bad, worse problem.
Breathers are for letting air in. You need to have some way of evacuating the crankcase pressure or it will force it's way out of the seals/ gaskets & cause leaks. An engine needs to have negative pressure in the crankcase to evacuate the gasses out. Just breathers alone cant evacuate the gases. Negative pressure also helps rings seal better.

Wish I could help. I'm not running a vacuum booster on mine. Got the Air Gap, PCV, and holley. You could look at mine sunday. But wouldn't really
help without the booster.

-
Back