leaking oil

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
Motor sat upside down for months on engine stand....oil drained. Took off the exhaust manifolds and there was a bunch of oil here on the pass side...no other ports on either side. Is this a prob or normal.

Attachments

• leaking oil.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 223
I'd say if it sat long enough, the oil would leak by the rings and has to come out somewhere.
Was the majority of the oil drained before turning engine upside down?
Some oil will be trapped but I don't think it'll hurt anything. Are you going to rebuild anything?

Look inside the port, is one of the valves open? I agree with Keith in thinking oil just leaked past the rings, and wouldn't be worried about it.

Thanks....not planning on rebuilding....needed to address oil pickup/pan issue. Oil was totaly drained....just would have thought it would have drained out of two ports on the other side. Was having an issue of oil pressure drop as engine warmed up. thought maybe it was the pump but after finding the pickup loose, thinking the pickup was laying against the bottom of the pan and not enough oil get sucked up? Then when I saw the leaked oil, i thought maybe another issue was the cause.

All engines will lose oil pressure as they warm up. It's just the oil thinning out as it gets to operating temps. As an example, my engine will idle at 70 psi cold, but only 20 psi fully warmed up (185 degrees). Completely normal as long as pressure doesnt drop too much. Just try to maintain the 1psi per 1000 rpm rule.

1 or 10 per 1000rpm. I think UOP meant 10

Just slap a Harley sticker on it and everyone will know it's normal. :)

I agree it's oil leaking past the bores and out your exhaust... it may be doing it in the intake as well. Even if you drain the oil, there's still quite a bit of residual oil in your pan.

1 or 10 per 1000rpm. I think UOP meant 10

Just slap a Harley sticker on it and everyone will know it's normal. :)

I agree it's oil leaking past the bores and out your exhaust... it may be doing it in the intake as well. Even if you drain the oil, there's still quite a bit of residual oil in your pan.
nice,couldn't bielive the oil pressure on my v twin.very low,very normal.

-
Back