Leaking Pinion Seal...8-3/4 ???

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Could someone who's done one before tell me how difficult it is to change a pinion seal on an 8-3/4 pumpkin?

Mine is leaking like a sieve..........pain in the posterior.

I wouldn't think it'd be too bad a job, BUT with these, you never know. I thought it was leaking around the bolts......but after a close inspection, I found it's running out of the seal behind the yoke, and dripping off the bottom........faked me out.

Help me out here....... Hard to remove? Easy? What's up ?

:burnout:

not bad, take of the drive shaft of course, then if the car is on the ground rear wheels, use a large breaker bar on th enut. it should be pretty tight, or a good impact zap the nut off, pull off the flange, pop out the seal.

I would put in a new crush sleave and torque to specs, some guys say to just mark and count the threads, just make sure that the backlash is ok. If you do not have a seal install tool a large socket works to for tapping in the seal evenely.

If its leaking bad there a good possibility the seal surface on the yoke is damaged

clean it up and inspect when you get it out...any grooves and you either want a new yoke or a 'speedy-sleeve' to repair it

You have to use a new crush sleeve (or solid sleeve with the correct shims) to get the preload on the pinion bearings right. That also requires that you have an in-lb torque wrench to set it. If you just pull it apart, replace the seal and put it back together you will be pulling it apart again in a few thousand miles to replace the bearings.

If it's an 8.75 pull the center section and work in it on the bench, so much easier to get the preload right.

The crush sleeve is only on the 489 case if it hasn't been replaced with a solid type. if you have the 741 or 742 just R & R the yoke and replace the seal. Before you take it apart, after you removed the driveshaft, make sure your yoke has absolutely no up and down movement, or slack in the bearings. I know your suppose to replace the crush sleeve on the 489 evertime you loosen the pinion yoke, but i have done it many times in the past and not had a problem. Just have to make sure you don't over tighten the pinion nut. It takes between 250-400 ft lbs to crush the sleeve. And your right,inspect the seal surface on the yoke for a grrove where the seal rides. They make Miro sleeves that slide on the yoke to repair this. Or replace the yoke if bad.

-
Back