Leaking Saginaw pump

-

273 Commando

mooser's dad
Reaction score
Just what I needed after 2 months of trying to get my kid's Duster on the road. I finally got the engine swap done and the P/S pump leaks like a stuck pig. It seems to be coming from the front section of the body, not the shaft or lines. My buddy thinks the res O ring is bad, but it didn't leak prior to the V8 bracket change. Any guess? I bought a seal kit from Kragen's for $20 but a reman pump is $64. I haven't touched it yet. I'm thinking of going with a new pump, but there's no pulley on it, I'd have to swap it out. How do I do that with basic hand tools? HELP!!!! Thanks, Ted

Just what I needed after 2 months of trying to get my kid's Duster on the road. I finally got the engine swap done and the P/S pump leaks like a stuck pig. It seems to be coming from the front section of the body, not the shaft or lines. My buddy thinks the res O ring is bad, but it didn't leak prior to the V8 bracket change. Any guess? I bought a seal kit from Kragen's for $20 but a reman pump is $64. I haven't touched it yet. I'm thinking of going with a new pump, but there's no pulley on it, I'd have to swap it out. How do I do that with basic hand tools? HELP!!!! Thanks, Ted

Need a special puller for the pully. You can rent one at Autozone. Bought mine at NAPA for around 35.00 or so. If you think its leaking around the o-ring, try loosening the bolts where it is connected to the mount. Sometimes, specially if you are using a different type of mount than came on it, it can warp the canister when you tighten it down. If loosening the bolts stops the leak then use some washers to space it between the canister and mount.

Larry

Thanks Larry, You're right, I did a bracket change on the original pump from the car. I'll try that and see if it works, Thanks again. Ted

-
Back