Leaking shock?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this twice now with my car. The first time I had zero break fluid in the entire car but when I pushed it around the shop I noticed a very small leak. It didn’t have much of a smell to it and not much color. Well today my dad tells me that there is a leak in the same spot. He thought it was the brakes but pulled the wheel off and could not find any brake fluid leak but he said it looked like it was running off the lower control arm. These are super cheap shocks I ordered off rock auto but I’m a little surprised they would be leaking after a couple years on the car.

I have had shocks metal fatigue at the weld of the bottom mount. But 2 years seems way too soon unless you put 100,000 miles on those 2 years

I had that happen to the front strut of my 07 Ram when it was 4 years old. Saw the nice colorful stream running down my driveway in the rain. That's what it was.

I have had shocks metal fatigue at the weld of the bottom mount. But 2 years seems way too soon unless you put 100,000 miles on those 2 years

It sat in the garage the whole time. Now it’s got maybe 10 miles on it.

I’ve noticed this twice now with my car. The first time I had zero break fluid in the entire car but when I pushed it around the shop I noticed a very small leak. It didn’t have much of a smell to it and not much color. Well today my dad tells me that there is a leak in the same spot. He thought it was the brakes but pulled the wheel off and could not find any brake fluid leak but he said it looked like it was running off the lower control arm. These are super cheap shocks I ordered off rock auto but I’m a little surprised they would be leaking after a couple years on the car.
Years ago, in the 60’s that is when shocks got changed out, they started leaking at the piston seal. So there would be oil or dampness running down the lower tube.
Todays shocks are much better for that.

-
Back