Leaking Tranny Fluid

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just put a 4 barrel intake and carb on my 72 Dodge D100 318. I fired it up to check the timing and to adjust the edelbrock carb. It's an automatic 727. I put in N and pushed it out of the garage and fired it up. It is running in neutral while adjusting the carb. I look down and see a puddle of tranny fluid in the driveway. Its dripping between the oil pan and the tranny at the inspection cover. I clean the mess up, put the car in park and fired it up again, no leak. What do you guys think? I'll get back at this weekend. I have to get cleaned up for dinner out with the wife. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks FABO.

Maybe the fluids were there from changing the intake and just look like tranny fluid.

Did you have to remove or move the filler tube at any point?

Did you recently fill or refill the fluid? Maybe the level was too high, and some of the excess has exited through the vent.

The pump doesn't run in park per my rebuild book. Likely why it didn't leak in park. Your leak may return once in gear or neutral again. Mine was the snout on my torque converter. I fought with it for weeks trying to find it. Then just poured a glass of scotch and ordered all that was needed... Best of luck.

drips when turned off usually are above the pan line, ie filler O-ring, sector shaft o-rings. Drips when running, seals. Someone told me that.

Pump runs in Park. Slots on the cter snout engage the pump drive, so if cter is rotating, pump is pumping.

They will leak from the shift shaft or whatever they call what the shift linkage hooks to on these leaky turds.

When the converter drains back into the pan it fills up and leaks right there.

Got burned by that one. Looked for the leak for hours. Another dude found it. I’d have never found it.

FWIW, I hate automatics.

I think you need a new rebuild book...

Or maybe I am crossing thoughts here. Maybe it doesn't full the converter....or cooling lines then. There is a reason to check level in neutral when up to temp to have a true level reading. Please correct me

The leak could be around the outer edge of the pump. Fluid drained back into the pan and leaked into the bottom of the bellhousing; then when you pushed it out of the garage, the front of the car was lower, dumping the bellhousing fluid over the bottom front edge of the bellhousing. This can happen when the outer o-ring of the pump fails along with a section of the pump gasket. I've also seen this when a front pan bolt hole breaks upward into the pump o-ring area; usually when too long a bolt is used, or the threads strip and a lag screw is used.

I’ll tell you what I just had (have )the same problem with my valiant. Resealed the pan topped it off etc. Drove it a little bit and parked her the end of October No leaks. Nothing on the ground at all. Car has sat covered on concrete since then. Haven’t started it. last week I go outside and the ground is wet and underside of pan around pan edge and underside wet. What’s the usual length of time for the converter to drain back and find a seal to leak from…
I have too many projects smh

I worked on it this morning. I started it and warmed it up. I adjusted the idle to 800 and checked the timing. It is 4 degrees ATDC at idle. I shifted it through all the gears then put it neutral to check the tranny fluid. It was right on the full line. Maybe it was just overfilled. I had this truck for two years, so it has been overfilled at least that long. Now to take it for a ride and hope I have the lockdown adjusted correctly.

Recheck the fluid level when the transmission is hot as long as it is between the full and the add lines it's ok, if it is overfilled drain some off by loosening the cooler line at the radiator with it idling in neutral until it is between the add and full lines. Torqueflite transmissions you must check the fluid in neutral not park this is because of the way the valve body works.

R u sure ur timing isn’t at 4* btdc. If it is actually 4*atdc that’s pretty retarded. Advancing it to +4* will make a huge difference in power and efficiency. Kim

What is tranny fluid? Is that like male and female goo mixed together?

you can change the spool vale to a no yo-yo valve. It prevents the convertor from draining back. TransGo makes the TF727/904 kit.

I have a 727 in a truck that doesn't get run much and i power washed everything as best as I could without pulling the trans, and I was under the truck, the last couple of days. It has a leak, that seems to be seeping thru the threads for the front band adjustment threads.
I'm sure it has drained back into the case, with as long as it has sat undriven.
My truck has been sitting since last fall, I jacked up the rear a couple of weeks ago and it has been sitting on stands since, fronts sitting on the tires/not jacked up.
Seems like I've started noticing the wet spot underneath just since I have had the back end up on stands.

-
Back