Leaking trans line on Jeep

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
Now it is my turn to ask a dumb question. I have an old Jeep Cherokee 1989 that I use only to plow the snow on my driveway. It is no longer registered and inspected, so I don't plan on ever driving it on the road again. I started it for the first time this year (yes, it started right away - yeah!). But I see that it now has a slight leak from one or both of the metal lines between the transmission and the radiator. After running for about ten minutes, it left a small puddle of trans fluid about 3" in diameter on the ground. I see that the leak is in the metal line directly under the engine oil pan. Now for the questions: do I just ignore it and add fluid every time I use it; do I cut the metal line and use a rubber hose to bridge the corroded section; or do I buy replacement lines and just replace them now? Right now, I am thinking of just ignoring it since it got cold out today and I don't feel like crawling around on cold ground again to fix it.

You will not know the answer until you look at it. If it has just one small area where the metal line is leaking then cut out the bad part and put rubber trans cooler hose (not fuel hose) on it and clamp it. If it is really rough looking the replace the metal lines. It won't get any better on its own, only worse.

It's warmer if you do it with the engine running. A little messy, though. O:)

You will not know the answer until you look at it. If it has just one small area where the metal line is leaking then cut out the bad part and put rubber trans cooler hose (not fuel hose) on it and clamp it. If it is really rough looking the replace the metal lines. It won't get any better on its own, only worse.

It's warmer if you do it with the engine running. A little messy, though. O:)

Thanks Rustedwrench. I priced out the hose and for $8 and a couple of clamps, I'll do it. But with the engine off and on a warmer day. Next week the weather is expected to hit 70 on Thursday. It's 38 and very windy today.

I got this Jeep from my father in law, after my sister in law totaled it. Since I repaired it for only $400 (and my time) I decided to add a snow plow to it and keep it since my father in law didn't want it back (it had 168,000 miles on it). That cost me about $700 for used parts. I've had it for about ten years now and every year it needs something replaced. Yeah, I know I shouldn't expect it to last without maintenance. It does allow me to laugh at snow storms!

-
Back