Leaking Valve Cover Help

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
Just changed the stock valve covers for new Mopar Cast Covers. Found out that the top rear bolt hole is messed up pretty bad and can not be fixed with out pulling the head and having a machine shop rethread it. The old cover did not leak, but was RTV'd like crazy. I used the black gasket that Mopar sells and it leaks, used a cork gasket and it leaks. What is the best solution.

Thanks,

Good idea 1968. Not the ideal fix. But that would work well in his situation. Jb weld will hold up.

Can you get us a pic of that bolt hole when you take the cover off again ?
JB Weld could work if the surrounding material is rough enough and totally clean.

if your capable hand drill and hand thread it install a heile coil it's not
that critical just get it as true as can be by hand use a magnet or shop vac to catch the shavings

Thanks for all the ideas, the previous owner messed it up pretty bad will post pics. The hole is right over a port going to the intake and it looks like he drilled through already. Will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks,

I JB Welded a stud into the messed up threads. I have not tested it yet, but when I put the valve cover on without a gasket it does not sit level. The Mopar Valve cover kinda teeters around, like if it is not level. I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I have a Moroso Perm-Align Gasket from summit because it said it is reuseable if I need to remove it. Is there a certain way to tighten the cover down.

I JB Welded a stud into the messed up threads. I have not tested it yet, but when I put the valve cover on without a gasket it does not sit level. The Mopar Valve cover kinda teeters around, like if it is not level. I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I have a Moroso Perm-Align Gasket from summit because it said it is reuseable if I need to remove it. Is there a certain way to tighten the cover down.

If the valve cover is warped you will have a problem. Put it on something flat (My favorite is the kitchen counter when the wife isn't around) and see if it's straight.

^^^^^^
again good idea...wife not around that is. Would you want chopped garlic and mushrooms on your work bench? LOL

.............I use a die grinder.....or u may be able to get thick gaskets......or i think they make spacer for them, i think i've seen them for sale on moparts..........kim................

.............I use a die grinder.....or u may be able to get thick gaskets......or i think they make spacer for them, i think i've seen them for sale on moparts..........kim................

times 2 on the die grinder, i just got done doing the same exact thing. they fit with my weiand intake but hit my edelbrock...

Put two valve cover gaskets under them, I had to with MP valve covers and a MI intake............go figure

I grinned down the one section that was hitting, and every thing is good. Thank everyone for there input, you all take out all the guess work.

I grinned down the one section that was hitting, and every thing is good. Thank everyone for there input, you all take out all the guess work.

if the valve cover is hitting one spot of the intake, its hitting the other runner, and for that matter its hitting on all four runners. a pic of what you have going on at the intake and valve cover would go a long ways. if you had to notch one area, you have three more to go , or double up your gaskets. you have to notch the front and the back.

Attachments

• runner.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 230
  • runner1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 235
-
Back