Leaky 340 Head Bolt?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I have a head bolt leaking oil. It is the bottom, rear, passenger side bolt. My oil pressure is always between 65 psi and 75 psi. Does that bolt go thru any oil passages? I could back it out and put a washer and some RTV on it. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks FABO.

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

It does not pass through any oil passages. I would endeavor to make SURE that is where it's coming from.

It does not pass through any oil passages. I would endeavor to make SURE that is where it's coming from.

It's got to be coming down from the valve cover gaskets then. I just replaced them with cork RTV'd to the covers a few weeks ago.

Nothing in those pictures even counts as a leak in my book. The little bit of residue in the picture could just be left over from before the valve cover gasket change, even if you cleaned it up once the engine heats up any oils trapped in the crevices will seep out again.

Definitely do not remove the head bolt and put a washer with RTV on it in there. Not only will that not fix anything, it could screw up your clamp pressure on that head bolt.

Corner of the intake in the rear . Or the distributor . Some blocks even though the distributor has an O-ring they still require a gasket. Give it a look. Just a thought of something to eliminate.

Could also be assembly oil from the threads of the bolt when the engine was built.

I had an oil leak from the back of the engine.After seeing the rocker covers fouling on the inlet manifold. I fixed that but still had a leak at the back of the engine.I pulled the engine and found the oil pressure switch had been tightened too much and cracked the back of the block.
I veed out the crack aand filled it with JBweld. no more leaks.

-
Back