Leaky 904

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
So got my engine installed and filled up the trans/converter and wouldn't you know it.... not only does it leave its mark on the road with rubber it also leaves its mark on the drive with trans fluid. At first I thought it was the front trans seal but it favored the pass side. I got it up on ramps and it's dripping hatefully from that corner gasket. I tried to snug it up a bit but still leaking. The gasket I used before was cork. Is there another better alternative? I'm still using the steel pan.

Wow. nothing new and a list of different places it can leak from. The pan needs to be flat and the gasket surfaces free from old material and clean. I have had good luck with the cork/rubber gaskets, the black fiber, and the new rubber/steel sandwich gaskets. Here's a list of threads about transmission leaks here. Search Results for Query: transmission leak | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Wow. nothing new and a list of different places it can leak from. The pan needs to be flat and the gasket surfaces free from old material and clean. I have had good luck with the cork/rubber gaskets, the black fiber, and the new rubber/steel sandwich gaskets. Here's a list of threads about transmission leaks here. Search Results for Query: transmission leak | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
Didn't have a problem with it last year when it was behind my 318. I had it out to throw my VB in and no leaks. Now with the new engine she wants to spring on me

Didn't have a problem with it last year when it was behind my 318. I had it out to throw my VB in and no leaks. Now with the new engine she wants to spring on me
It's just fussing at you because you changed engines. Just do what Mike said and talk nicely to it. I'm sure it will get the hint and start behaving!

So got my engine installed and filled up the trans/converter and wouldn't you know it.... not only does it leave its mark on the road with rubber it also leaves its mark on the drive with trans fluid. At first I thought it was the front trans seal but it favored the pass side. I got it up on ramps and it's dripping hatefully from that corner gasket. I tried to snug it up a bit but still leaking. The gasket I used before was cork. Is there another better alternative? I'm still using the steel pan.
Could be the dip stick tube leaking and running down to the pan.
Ditch the steel pan for a cast aluminum pan.

P3.jpg

P1.jpg

My steel pan was leaking, I never could figure out why?

Last edited:
-
Back