Leaky 904

-

Breadfather

Reaction score
I have a 72 swinger with a 318 and a 904, and the tranny is leaking pretty good. I did a filter and fluid change and it still leaks. From what I can tell it is leaking from the top of the drivers side somewhere. Someone said it could be the weep hole but I did not over fill it, that I am sure of. I cant really get a good view of that part of the tranny so I can't tell where it is coming from. My brother has a 73 swinger with the same set up and his leaks from the same area, is this a common leak how do I fix it with out a rebuild or is that the only way? It leaks a puddle about the size of a soft ball or so every other day. Thanks for the info guys.

Check the shift lever seal....they leak like crazy :toothy10:

As stated,more than likely a leaky gear shaft selector seal. Actually just had mine replaced.
There is a special tool to take it out from the top.Kind of hard with the tranny in the car. The other way is to take off the pan,take out the valve body,and replace it from there. This is how they did mine.If you are interested in a shift kit, this would be a good time to replace it. Maybe they will include it with the shift kit.

The shift shaft seal is bad about leaking. I've also seen fluid leak from the inner shift shaft seal. The one that separates the shift collar from the throttle pressure rod. Any way about it you'll need to get it up high in the air or preferably on a rack and wash it down with a can of brake clean and run it and see where it's coming from. It can be fixed in the vehicle most of the time but it's not easy to get too due to where it's located. Doing it on a rack is tons easier.

BTW: Chrysler's don't have a "weep" hole (it's actually a vent) on the side of the transmission. Your buddy must have been a shivy guy.

Find a good tranny shop that you can trust and say fix it. I went through this with my Scamp. I about went out of my mind. It took the tranny guy two or three tries before he got it to stop. I think it was the seal that was mentioned earlier but not sure. He charged me 125.00 but it hasn't leaked a bit. I was glad to pay it after all the climbing under my car I did trying to figure it out. As long as the shop will stand behind it you're good.

My shifter lever was leaking. As Johnny Dart said, there is a tool to get it from the top, otherwise you have to remove the valve body. A trans shop did mine for $40. Took them about 15 mins.

Thanks a lot guys i will check it out and see if i can get a shop to do it for a reasonable price.

-
Back